BSOD..I think it is hardware...I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

protege26

Hi all. New to posting here, but not new to viewing. I am writing to see if anyone can help me with my blue screens. The errors range from page faults to just stop errors. I am attaching my last 4 dump files which only go back to yesterday. Here are my system stats. If more info is needed, feel free to ask!
Oh...memtest was run and it passed 15 times!

Thanks,
K.R. Crowe III

AMD Athlon XP 2400
MachSpeed N2PAP-Lite nVidia nForce2
768MB RAM DDR SDRAM PC133
nVidia GeForce FX 5500 Graphics 256MB (ForceWare driver 91.31)
Okia 450W Power Supply
Windows XP Pro SP2

1 crash caused by "FastFat.sys", which is part of the FAT32 file system. This is a serious error, you should immediatly backup all important data, and follow these intructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290182/en-us.

(If you are using the FAT32 file system for XP, I would recommend using NTFS, but lets sort the BSODs out first.)

Another crash by "win32k.sys," caused by a page fault error. The owning process seems to be "weather.exe", which is flagged as Adware according to many sites. Head over the Security and Web forum, and post a Hijack This log.

1 crash caused by memory corruption. If you are using 2 sticks of RAM, then remove one to see if it is the cause. I know you have run memtest, but faulty ram can still pass it.

3rd crash caused by "win32k.sys" again, but with a different bugcheck of 0A.

The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

Possible Resolutions:

• A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

• A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

Again, the most likely problem is faulty RAM, so run windows with only one stick for a while.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I followed your link to MS Support and ran checkdisk with nothing found. The version of my FastFat.sys file is for XP SP2. The version number is 5.1.2600.2180. So it seems fine. Not sure what caused that mess.

As for weather.exe, it is for a program called Weatherbug. I use it everday and have never had any problems with it. I also recently received a clean bill of health with my HiJack This logs from Ritchie on the Tweaks.com forums. But I'll be happy to post one here as well.

And for the memory, I have ran windows for a few days each with just one stick and all was fine. One is generic 256 PC133. The other is Ultra 512 PC3200. It is brand new. I am wondering if it may be my new GeForce card as well not liking my motherboard, but it should have shown up as the error. But all seems well with my memory. Any other ideas or things I can do to help you help me more? lol.

Thanks for your help so far though!!
K.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back