Bsod Irql_not_less_or_equal when enabling wireless card

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the ip problem it could be to do with any antivirus software you have.

If not, the go: Start> Run> and put in "cmd" or "command" and hit enter, which opens the command prompt. Then type "ipconfig" and hit enter. You SHOULD see your ip dns etc in the box, however if one of them is missing then please say which one.

When i couldn't repair my ip a few weeks back it was because of uninstalling a program that has to do wit accessing and granting permission to the internet. When doing a HJT scan i came up with "internet connection broken". For me deleting this solved it along with reinstalling the program (which happened to be a firewall program).

The change from Symantec to McAfee can explain a lot, unfortunately, since Symantec is known for not totally removing itself. For now, though, let's look at this from a hardware/networking side of things.

With your wireless card, if you remove it from the device manager, reboot, and let windows reinstall the card, does this help any? This will force a driver reinstall, and also sometimes has files reregistered that aren't reregistered on a driver upgrade.

With your Wired connection, do you have the connection set to use a static IP address? What error do you get if you run ipconfig /renew ? Or what error does it give when the repair fails?

What are the exact numbers included with your BSOD error? That will help significantly as well (the minidumps even more so.)

Hope we can get your helped here..

There should be a filename and address with this as well- do you have those?

When you say you uninstalled and reinstalled from the device manager, did you do this in one session? or did you remove, then restart, and then install? makes a big difference...

Thanks...

i did restart when uninstalling and then installling through device manager

there should be a filename? and address? i never saw one but ill check again

The filename usually comes with the tech info.. but it may not. Also, as N3051M says, please upload a few of your minidumps- we may be able to examine those and help through that.

On your stops, do the numbers ever vary? That might help as well.

Get the minidumps (you can view them in notepad if you want) first to determine the BSOD and I personally think (am 90% sure) that completely removing Norton will do the trick.
You will find the tool: HERE

the minidump folder needs a program to open those files...so i don't know what to do with those
sorry i did not answer before.. you can post those minidumps here on your next post by uploading them as attachments or download/learn how to read them..

N3051M what do you mean "learn" how to read them? It takes years of experience to even be able to start decoding them.

Sjbrand99 said:
N3051M what do you mean "learn" how to read them? It takes years of experience to even be able to start decoding them.

well, not learn in-depth.. more like self-help learn and basic reading (and using a program to cheat a bit) so you can know roughly whats what.. like this https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-31341-How-do-I-read-minidumps.html
or this http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

etc.

Google is your friend, as i've been using it to help others with. (now i let the secret out i might have to kill you :D)

Well, I think that we should stress for people to use google before posting and starting threads because it can answer most problems anyway.

mini010407-01
Code:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  DRIVER_FAULT

IMAGE_NAME:  ntoskrnl.exe

mini010307-21, mini010307-22, mini010307-23
Code:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  COMMON_SYSTEM_FAULT

IMAGE_NAME:  ntoskrnl.exe

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ntoskrnl/ said:
Description:
ntoskrnl.exe is a critical process in the boot-up cycle of your computer although should never appear in WinTasks whilst under normal circumstances

suggestions:
-Check keyboard ok
-check drivers are the most stable/updated for your hardware
-take out any recently installed hardware, see if its stable
-run a chkdsk /f and a sfc /scannow (you will need your winxp cd)
-check BIOS settings are ok

If you do think its your wifi card, try and disable it, remove the drivers from Device manager and any instances relating to it under "Add/remove programs" .
Reboot, check there's no residue of it, at this stage download the latest one from HP's website for your laptop model as well as read the FAQ on how to completely remove Norton (somewhere on this forum.. i forget the link) if you still think you got some of it left..
After you got the new driver set, check if there's any special installation instructions and do so, otherwise do it the old fashion way and just point to it when it ask for one..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back