BSOD- minidump attached... please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhowie

I just experienced a BSOD and wonder if I might get some help in diagnosing the issue causing? Event 1001 pasted below and I have attached the minidump file.

Thanks!

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0xb1fc52b8, 0x00000001, 0xbf83a14a, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121707-01.dmp.

Attachments

• Mini121707-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 8
0x50 errors are often the result of faulty hardware one of which is memory corruption. More dumps woul;d be very helpful and if you get more attach them.

Meanwhile I strongly suggest that you reun MemTest on your RAM for a minimum of 7 passes. This will take time. If you have any errors then you have corrupted memory. If you have more than one stick you will have to run MemTest on each individual stick to see which one(s) are faulty and need to be replaced.

Thank you for the feedback. Please find the additional dumps which have occurred over the past month in the earlier thread here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic93527.html.

Based on the information contained within those, are your suspicions still the same? I will plan to run MemTest per your recommendation.

It happened yet again. :-( Here is the latest bugcheck description and attached minidump. Please interpret and let me know what might be going on!

I should note that I awoke to a rebooted computer as I was running MemTest during the overnight. From the timestamp on the "event", it appeared the shutdown occurred 90 minutes into the MemTest, although MemTest could have completed well before then and this was unrelated? I don't recall MemTest requiring longer than 45 minutes or so to complete...

Many thanks for your help.

---------------------------------------

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121907-01.dmp.

Attachments

• Mini121907-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 5
MemTest done right takes a long time. Your latest crash is an 0x7F. This is from Amuha:

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common. (emphasis is mine in bold)

My strongest guess is corrupted memory.

With respect to hardware failures, is there any reasonable chance a display (LCD monitor) could be the culprit?

mhowie said:
With respect to hardware failures, is there any reasonable chance a display (LCD monitor) could be the culprit?

HIGHLY unlikely.

Let me emphasize again, Memtest takes a long time. 90 minutes may get you 1 and half passes. The minimum recommended passes is between 7 and 10. Most people start it before they go to bed and check the results when they wake up.

Run MemTest again.

Route44 said:
HIGHLY unlikely.

Let me emphasize again, Memtest takes a long time. 90 minutes may get you 1 and half passes. The minimum recommended passes is between 7 and 10. Most people start it before they go to bed and check the results when they wake up.

Run MemTest again.

Will do. As I indicated earlier, the "overnight" MemTest is what I attempted last night but I awoke to a freshly booted computer...

I will report back. Thanks for your time and direction!

Try this: Bring a book with you :) and periodically watch the screen through one or two tests. If any errors occur you've got bad RAM. I could be wrong but I think you've gotr faulty RAM. That is my first best guess.

Books? What are those? :)

I will do just that. BTW, I just got off the phone with newegg.com and they are going to send out two new modules (I will send back the offending ones when they arrive). I figure if Memtest identifies a problem, I am ahead of the game. If MemTest doesn't suggest a problem, I can always stick the new ones in to see if, in fact, the RAM was causing the periodic crashes.

To digress, this is Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX DDR2 PC6400 RAM rated at 4-4-4-12. I was excited to use this in conjunction with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition CPU I bought due to the stable overclocking possibilities which exist (all of this is part of a new machine I built a month ago). I am not a passionate overclocker, but it was suggested this particular CPU is "quite receptive" to having the multiplier adjusted upward. For those keeping score at home, I also got an MSI K9AG Neo2-Digital motherboard, an Antec 430w power supply, an XFX GeForce 7600GT VC (I'm not a huge gamer), a couple of 500GB Seagate drives, and an Asus DVD/CD burner.

I've been lucky, I guess, to never experiencing such random BSOD's over the past 20+ years (always a Windows OS guy), so this is a confusing time!

Regards,

After looking at your 1st minidump -> i was thinking there may be a fix

But after looking at the second one -> I agree your memory may be the cause

Blind Dragon said:
After looking at your minidump

driver problem -> win32k.sys
That was on your first dump

Can one narrow that down to a specific driver from that information? To my knowledge, all of my drivers (video card, mouse, LAN, audio, monitors)- as well as my BIOS- are up to date.

Thanks,

mhowie said:
Can one narrow that down to a specific driver from that information? To my knowledge, all of my drivers (video card, mouse, LAN, audio, monitors)- as well as my BIOS- are up to date.

Thanks,

win32k.sys can be pretty generic. Did you run MemTest?

there could be a ton of reasons why it showed that as the cause of your crash.

question though ->
Do you use thunderbird?

Route44 said:
win32k.sys can be pretty generic. Did you run MemTest?

I have been running MemTest. I have run it for 9+ hours each at the following settings (RAM always at 2.1V) without error:

1) CPU and RAM at Auto Select in BIOS
2) CPU 13x multiplier (which is default) and 4-4-4-12 RAM settings
3) CPU 14x multiplier (2800 MHz) and 4-4-4-12 RAM settings

I plan to increase the multiplier to 15x overnight and see what happens.

Blind Dragon said:
there could be a ton of reasons why it showed that as the cause of your crash.

question though ->
Do you use thunderbird?

Actually, I do... is there something going on with good ol' Thunderbird???

mhowie said:
Actually, I do... is there something going on with good ol' Thunderbird???

EPoX made some nice utilities but Thunderbird has been known to cause issues. (I have an EPoX 9NPA+Ultra board myself). Blind Dragon may be onto something here.

How many passes in those 9 hours?

Route44 said:
How many passes in those 9 hours?

I'm unsure of the number of passes, but the MemTest program reported anywhere from 2800%-3300% coverage when I terminated the tests over the past few days.

Last night I bumped the multiplier up to 15x and awoke to a BSOD. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL was included on the blue screen, along with a usbport.sys notation (that is a new one). I have attached the most recent minidump for analysis.

I have reduced the multiplier down to 14.5x and am running MemTest today while away from my home.

I wonder how much of these crashes are a result of overclocking (temps are low, fans working, etc.)? Unfortunately, I can not recall my BIOS settings from some of my earliest crashes, but I do not believe I had adjusted the multiplier yet when those occurred.

At any rate, thanks to all who have chimed in for your expertise and I will continue to report my findings and incorporate additional advice you might have.

Regards,

when was last time you updated BIOS?

Also I would try updating your USB port driver ->Can sometimes be done through updating chipset drivers or Some motherboards include drivers on the motherboard software and drivers CD.

Image path: USBPORT.SYS
Image name: USBPORT.SYS
Timestamp: Wed Aug 04 02:08:34 2004 (41107D62)
CheckSum: 0002F594
ImageSize: 00022E80
File version: 5.1.2600.2180
Product version: 5.1.2600.2180
File flags: 0 (Mask 3F)
File OS: 40004 NT Win32
File type: 2.0 Dll
File date: 00000000.00000000
Translations: 0409.04b0
CompanyName: Microsoft Corporation
ProductName: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
InternalName: usbport.sys
OriginalFilename: usbport.sys
ProductVersion: 5.1.2600.2180
FileVersion: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
FileDescription: USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver

I'm guessing this could just be that whatever was in your USB ports was in memory at time of crash, but it can't hurt to try what I suggested above. Route44 what do you think

Blind Dragon said:
when was last time you updated BIOS?

I have the latest BIOS- updated it at the time I built the computer last month.

I ran MemTest for 20+ hours without a crash at a 14.5x multiplier so I hope at this point I can rule out corrupted memory. I am also hopeful that running at this speed will eliminate future crashes, unless there is something else going on hardware or software-wise. If another BSOD appears, I will update.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back