BSOD on Steam games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adidas0494

Hello, I build a computer for a friend and he has had many problems with it. The most recent is being unable to play Steam games. That is the only game he has so I have other to test on but, as soon as you try and load a "source" game it will say "Engine Error" and then go to message saying "unable to reference memory at 0x102a3e2c at 0x0e2da1a0" and if I play a non-source game like CS or DoD it will play just fine for a while then BAM! BSOD. I have my memory dumps attached. If anyone could help me figure out what is wrong I would be very greatful. I have updates DX9.0c, my ATI driver, my sound driver, and java (someone said that fixed their problem) I don't know what else to do. Please help Thank You! in advance.

The System is a:

AMD 2500XP+
ASUS A7V880
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128MB
Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit card.

It looks RAM related. Bugcheck 1A is almost always a RAM problem. Is that one or two sticks of RAM? Run Memtest.

BugCheck 1A, {41284, 13da0001, c030020, c0503000}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiLocateWsle+c0 )

Its 2 sticks 512MB each...I did run a memtest but I only let it go for 1 pass. I read later that you should go to 7 passes. The test took about 45-55 minutes to do I don't know if that is normal either.

I don't want to sound rude, but I still do not really have an answer. Should I switch the RAM to the other slots? or what?

take 1 stick out and check the other run it for 7, if it passes then test the sticks. I assume u are assume u are using Memtest86 it is not a perfect test but if it says the mem is bad then I would believe it. and replace the stick that is told to be bad. also yes it is not a bad idea to check the slots.

Well I did another Memtest and it passed 11 times and had 0 errors. I just left everything default it ran for 21 hours and had the ECC testing off (whatever that is) any ideas now?

P.S. If I just reinstall windows will that possibly fix the problem?

control panel / add remove programs/ uninstall your ati drivers CCC or whatever else you got from ATI

Go to this link and install the catalyst 7.7 driver and CCC if you want it

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/x...-cat77-xp.html

Should fix it. I think your card plugs in through AGP slot and the newer drivers dont have 100% support for AGP and what happens is directx cant send information over the new drivers to your graphics hardware

Try running with just one stick of RAM at a time. If it still crashes then try one stick at a time in another slot. As nickc has pointed out, Memtest isn't perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back