BSOD: Page Fault in non-paged... mini-dumps and details inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasheemo

I built this computer a little over a year ago so i dunno why this is happening now...

When i open counter-strike and start playing, things seem fine, but then after 10 - 20 minutes of playing the game just freezes. Sometimes i get a BSOD, but sometimes i can just alt+F4 out and restart the game.

I almost always get a page fault in non-paged area and it gives me n4_disp.dll

Ive read the sticky and ran memtest+
I couldnt get past 70% after running the test twice for some reason...

here are 2 screenshots:
http://brawlnews.com/wp-content/1.jpg
http://brawlnews.com/wp-content/2.jpg

the minidumps are attached.

My system specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ venice
2 x 512 PQI ram DDR400
250GB SATAII hd
NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GT
My mobo is an ASRock dual but i forgot which one...
i have a 400W FSP PSU...

anything else ive forgotten?

THANKS A LOT GUYS!!!!

"n4_disp.dll" is part of an Nvidia driver. Do you have an Nvidia video card? Does the motherboard have an Nvidia chipset?

oh man sorry, i forgot one of the most important things lol.

i have an nVidia gefore 7600 GT, latest drivers. the chipset may be nForce but i dont think so actually...

1. Both your screen shots show some serious errors concerning your RAM. Faulty RAM will wreck havoc on a system creating all kinds of problems.

2. Your three minidumps all point to the same thing: n4_disp.dll which as Tmagic650 rightly points out is part of an Nvidia driver. A number of people lately here at TechSpot have had issues with this. I wonder if it is a bad driver.

3. Mixed in with your minidumps is the h12.exe which isn executible for Counter-Strike. It seems that firewalls can prevent this from, well, executing.

* I'd first seriously look at your memory again. Try running Memtest one stick at a time.

yeah HL2.exe is counterstrike source, thats what keeps freezing/closing randomly. I don't think its the firewall since hl2.exe is on the exception list, and i have no other firewall besides windows firewall.

not sure if its a bad driver because just a month ago i never had this problem. Can ram just get bad? ive had this computer for just a year. I built it from scratch so maybe the RAM i bought was cheap. They're PQI's

Ill try memtest with one stick at a time. thanks for all your help! i really appreciate it!

Yes rasheemo,
RAM can just go bad... You can certainly buy better RAM than PQI. Kingston or Corsair would be better choices

is the problem definitely only due to RAM issues? I removed the faulty stick of RAM and although the problem was a little better, i still got the BSOD (although much less frequently). I do admit, though that i never finished a full memtest on the "good" stick. They're probably both bad...

thanks again

EDIT: I just got a new BSOD... NPFS_FILE_SYSTEM... even google doesnt have much about this.... should i just reformat?

w.t.f

i replaced both RAM modules and was under the impression that everything was fine again.... but just now i got a BSOD that said:

"A threat tried to release a resource it did not own"

WTF? Google has NOTHING on this.

Still showing a driver fault... Sometimes bios settings get corrupted, so a CMOS reset might solve BSOD problems

alright, i also tried a virus scan, but that didn't seem to be it. ill reset CMOS and see what it does. thanks Tmagic

I took CMOS battery out, booted computer, reverted BIOS to optimal default settings, saved, restarted, put CMOS back in.

So far, things are going well, no BSOD yet. i've been wondering however, aren't drivers a software issue? how is the BIOS involved? thanks again

The motherboards CMOS chip contains the bios (basic input/output system). This software controls all the basic functions of the computer like the ability to turn on, looking at the boot drive, looking at the CDROM, loading the main operating system controls and setting memory timings and the basic video settings. All this affects how the system drivers will operate. Wrong or corrupt bios settings can, by themselves cause system instability and BSODs

ah alright, well thanks a lot.

So far i only get freezing with counterstrike that automatically closes the app (so i dont have to reset), which can get annoying, but no BSODs. thanks for your help Tmagic.

Freezing maybe because i only have like 300mb of ram since i shipped the other two sticks for warranty.

wow, i thought things were ok, and just now i got a page fault in non-paged area BSOD again (nv4_disp.dll). This is with two different sticks of ram and reset BIOS. i dont get it. I think im just going to reformat the computer V_V

NVIDIA cards are known for compatibility problems, and I have known ASRock boards which will not address RAM properly.
My advice is to try another graphics card with the ATi chipset.
If you have a hardware problem, reformatting will not fix it.
cheers

Yes I agree AlbertLionheart,
there may very well be an incompatibility between rasheemo's motherboard and the Nvidia card, or memory

So what have you done that may have contributed to this BSOD? Hardware changes, software or driver additions/updates? Think hard!

i havent touched anything hardware-wise, but i have made plenty of software changes... i think i tried to install omega drivers for my video card, but that never worked out so i just went to latest drivers... otherwise i may have just installed some programs here, defragged, deleted etc...

brand new BSOD today, this time it said windows stopped to prevent damage to my hardware (overheating?) The minidump leads to:

MODULE_NAME: nv4_disp

IMAGE_NAME: nv4_disp.dll

so i guess theres something up with the driver. I hope its not a hardware issue because i dont want to buy another video card =[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back