BSOD problems for a week, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

v2008

Hello I assembled my first pc last week after saving up for 4 years. But my PC keeps restarting every 1 to 2 hours. I thought it was the CPU overheating so I downloaded coretemp and monitored temperature. When I start my PC the temperature is 55 C and then keeps increasing until the PC restarts. In game the CPU temperature jumps to 75 and increases until PC restarts. Today I got the dreaded BSOD, and now I really do not know what to do. I would love some help guys, thanks in advance. I have also included the 4 minidump files.

Btw my pc specs are : q6600, 1 gb, ocz 600w, x1950pro

Attachments

• Mini093007-01.dmp
    64 KB · Views: 6
You have several different errors one of which is hardware related. But the thing that jumps out is your temp continually going up? A computer certainly will shut down if it gets too hot. 55c is hot! That is 133 degrees farenheit! I'd seriously look into your cooling because something is not working; little wonder your system keeps shutting down

It sounds to me like your video card's fan is failing or has failed. How many fans to you have in your system? Are they all working?

...you assembled your first pc...
i know its highly unlikely but have you applied your thermal paste correctly when attaching your cpu? it could account for you climbing cpu temeratures.

There was already a thermal patch on the cpu's heatsink so I didn't apply any thermal paste. The video card fan is spinning, so I guess its working? Yesterday I was monitoring the CPU's temp using coretemp program, when playing counter strike source, and the temperature rose abpve 75C, and that is very hot even for a q6600 I think. Should I return the CPU guys as it appears to be faulty?

have you tried ol' school cooling to see if that prolongs the computers run time

open the side of you case get a desk fan aim it inside and put it on max setting
lol
its a tad low tech but it may give you an idea of whats going on

if you can monitor your cpu fans rpm then what speed does it run at ?

make sure every fan runs well and at the right temp
especially your cpu fan
also if its restarting .. are you sure its not a bsod (with auto restart enabled)?

to stop bsod restart:
start>control panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery[settings]>then under system failure make sure the automatically restart is unchecked

you may wanna try looking in event viewer under administrative controls and event viewer
its quite useful sometimes .. just see if that shows anything.

what cpu did you say you were using? it maybe tath if you do a google search on that model type over heating you may find that its a common issue

hope this gives you some more ideas

good luck

I am using the quad core 6600, and they do run this hot, but no way are they meant to go above 80C in game. I have tried cooling the computer with a desk fan but it only brings down the temperature by 1 or 2C. MY cpu fan runs at 2280 rpm. I also have 2 120 mm case fans which are running. At the moment my CPU fan runs at 80%, shall I increase this to 100%? The thermal specification of the highest cpu in the range is 71C and 63C for my q6600, so does this mean the temperature should not go above 63C, If I am not overclocking?

In event viewer under system, I am getting the following errors: Plugplay manager, Service control manager, W32time, Systemerror.
Do these error mean anything significant guys?

when you bought the CPU, did you buy a retail pack complete with cooling fan?
Are the feet locked down onto the motherboard as far as they will go? The effectiveness of the heat transfer paste is conditional on there being pressure to squash it flat across the top of the chip.

Okay I just reinstalled the fan that came with the CPU. 3 of the nuts are tightly bolted but the 4th one is a bit flimsy, not sure why? The CPU temperature now seems to be under 70C but the Aux temperature has risen and is now around 75. What is the aux guys, and should it be higher than the CPU temperature?

Are you sure your read is 70c?! Because if that is the case you are looking at 158 F! That is way too hot. Little wonder why your PC keeps shutting down.

With 120mm case fans and with your video card fan functioning you should be a whole lot cooler. You may very well be correct about needing to return that CPU. I just hope it isn't too late to do so.

This is most definitely overkill but I actually custom built a rack on my desk to house on/ off switches and a rack mount hub and with my last slot I bought a us robotics cooling system that has 9 - 6" fans. The rack is over my PC and a couple of amps that were having problems overheating (yeah Klipsch) anyway I bought the fan rack for like $26 on ebay and it was unused. I'm happy to say no more overheating problems on anything. But it was a pain in *** to install all this stuff

Guys I reinstalled the heatsink fan yesterday at 6 pm. My computer idled at around 47C and in game around 60-62. I played CSS from 7 pm to 3 am and the tempreature kept fairly constant hovering around 60-62. Is this ok guys? I will monitor the tempreture all day again today.

If one of the pins isnt in properly, then that will cause the overheats. I had the same on my conroe e6600, i fried the cpu because one of the pins was loose, they must be pushed down very hard. I broke one of the pins, and it was loose like you said, maybe the bottom bit of it has snapped off. Either way, id buy a replacement before it frys itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back