BSOD several times daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am having a problem with the computer crashing with BSOD at least once daily, often multiple times. Looking at other posts on this forum, I see that other people are having similar problems, and was hoping for some help.

There does not appear to be consistency to the crash messages. Some of the messages received say IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL others PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA.

The details of my machine are as follows :
2* 200gig Maxor ATA-133
128mb ATI Radeon 9600
2* 160gig SATA Maxtor Hard Drives
1 AMD 3200 XP Processor & Fan
1 Tagan 420Watt PSU
1 Gigabyte 7n400Pro Motherboad
1 Gigabyte 108mb Wireless Card
1 3 ½” Mitsumi Black FA404 Floppy Drive
1 LG GSA-4163B Black 16x16 ±R X5 DVDR
1 LG 16x Black DVD-ROM
2*512Mb Corsair Twin-X RAM

Each of the disk drive groups have RAID mirroring effectively giving me a 200Gig and a 160Gig hard disk. The machine is only around three months old and I have been having problems with it from almost day one.

I occassionally hear a click coming from the case. I believe that it is one of the hard disks. This is not directly attributable to the crashes, but does happen regularly when the disk is under stress, for example defragmenting etc. The machine has also been known to crash when sitting idle.

Looking at the System Event logs, I can see nothing that I believe to be attributable to the crash. I do however receive many System Event log Errors relating to the Disk. I have included this in the zip file attached.

I am at a bit of a loss as to how to approach these problems. I only want to reinstall the OS as a last resort, as I do not believe that it will sort the problems. I have attached some recent dump files that may shed some light on the problem. I am unsure how to read these myself.

If anyone has any ideas about how to proceed it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a bit more information to add to the *.dmp files posted yesterday. On another thread I have learned how to generate readable output from these files.

I have included this output in the attached ZIP file.

I am unsure how to read the information in the files generated. Each of the messages appears different. I am wondering if there is a common thread in the problem somewhere.

As a summary the types of errors reported are :
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007f)
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)

As an aside, for others who are interested - here are the instructions I found on how to read the dump files :

Download Debugging Tools from Microsoft and use kd to analyse your minidumps
Create folder c:\symbols

Type following at command prompt:
c:\program files\debugging tools>kd -z <<full path to dump file>>
kd> .logopen <<full path to txt file to dump log info>>
kd> .sympath srv*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
kd> .reload;!analyze -v;r;kv;lmnt;.logclose;q

Regards

Attachments

• debugLogs.zip
    48.4 KB · Views: 5
Status