BSOD - Trying to read the minidump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recenly moved to a new house and sure enough my pc gets a BSOD at least a couple of times a week. It always happens 2( or 4 times) when it does occur, and then windows will work fine after the 5th boot up. I ran the ms debuging tools. And I was wondering if someone could help me understand it. I think it's my Creative Software (which is weird since theses BSOD's are new) but there might be other info in the debug log.

Thanks in advance - Great site!!

In order to help you we need you to attach your minidumps to your next post.

How to Find Your Minidumps:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump files.

* It is the files we need need, not the whole folder.

* You'll see at the bottom of the reply screen Additional Options and under that "Manage Attachments"

* Also, it would be really helpful if you have more than one minidump. If you have 4 or more put them together in a Zip format and attach.

OK. Will do that later when I get home tonight. I thought the actual dump log would be enough. Sorry

Here they are. thanks.

By the way, I ran MemTest all nite - no errors. Although I know that does not rule out my memory. Just thought I would let you know.

Four of your five minidumps point to ntkrnlpa.exe which is a driver in the Windows Operating System. In my research it is often due to faulty RAM or PSU. How many passes did you do with MemTest.

Your other minidump pointed to a Bug Check of 24.

Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. A similar Stop message, 0x23, exists for the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file systems.

Possible Resolutions:

Malfunctioning SCSI and Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) hardware or drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, causing errors. If using SCSI hard disks, check for cabling and termination problems between the SCSI controller and the disks. Periodically check Event Viewer for error messages related to SCSI or FASTFAT in the System log or Autochk in the Application log.
Verify that the tools you use to continually monitor your system, such as virus scanners, backup programs, or disk defragmenters are compatible with Windows XP. Some disks and adapters come packaged with diagnostic software that you can use to run hardware tests.

To test hard disk or volume integrity:

Method 1:

In the Run dialog box, in the Open box type:
cmd

Start the Chkdsk tool, which detects and attempts to resolve file system structural corruption. At the command prompt type:
chkdsk drive: /f

Method 2:

Double-click My Computer, and then select the hard disk you want to check.
On the File menu, click Properties.
Click the Tools tab.
In the Error-checking box, click Check Now.
In Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box. You can also select the Automatically fix file system errors check box.

If the volume you are checking is in use, a message asks whether you want to delay disk error checking until the next time you restart your computer. After you restart, disk error checking runs and the volume chosen is not available to run other tasks during this process. If you cannot restart the computer due to the error, use safe mode or Recovery Console.

If you are not using the NTFS file system, and the system partition is formatted with the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file system, long file name (LFN) information can be lost if hard disk tools are started from an MS-DOS command prompt. A command prompt appears when using a startup floppy disk or when using the command prompt startup option on multiple boot systems that use FAT16 or FAT32 partitions with Microsoft® Windows® 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2), Microsoft® Windows® 98, or Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition (Me) installed. Do not use tools meant for other operating systems on Windows XP partitions!

Nonpaged pool memory might be depleted, which can cause the system to stop. You can resolve this situation by adding more RAM, which increases the quantity of nonpaged pool memory available to the kernel.

Thanks

I ran Memtest for almost 24 hrs. i would say over 100 passes.

You say faulty PSU - I have had it just shutdown on me out of the blue - a couple of times. I thought it was a loose power cord, but mayne it's a faulty PSU. I will look into that one (Maybe a short in the case???)

I have SATA H/D's NTFS file system....

A faulty PSU is another thing that will wreck havoc on your system. As one person puut it that I never forget: "It is the backbone of your system."

What make is your PSU and how much wattage does it supply?

Also, I would run a scan on your HDs as a precautionary move to make sure your harddrives aren't failing.

I have a OCZ PowerStream 520 Watt PS <OCZ-520ADJ> Which was a pretty decent PSU at the time (my Pc is 2-3 years old).
In all seriousness - It's probably time for a new PC. But I was hoping to build a Myth Box 1st, and then get a new pc further on down the road. Esp with 2 kids a house, etc. etc....
I have never done it, but the PSU is supposodly adjustable - maybe I can tune it or something...
thanks for the help. It's a good start...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back