BSOD - What to do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all who read

This is my first post so please bare with me. I have recently found myself using the site alot for reference however have hit a bottleneck and don't know where to turn next, please help if you have any advice - it is much appreciated

System Spec

Thermaltake Soprano ATX Case – VB1000BWS
520W Coolermaster Real Power M520 Modular PSU
GigaByte GA-8TRS350MT Motherboard
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair Value Select DDR PC3200 (400)
nVidia GeForce 7600GS APG8X 256MB DDR2 128bit
(M) 80Gb Western Digital Caviar SE, SATA300, 7200rpm, 8MB Cache, 9 ms
( S ) 80Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80, Ultra ATA/100
HP DVD1040i Lightscribe DVD±RW Writer

Windows XP Professional SP2

System History

I have recently upgraded alot of parts on my system..previously I was running the Gigabyte motherboard and cpu with two IDE drives, 512MB Ram and a 300W PSU. I then bought the nvidia gfx card as new from a friend and had this running on the old system for about a month with no problems. I then upgraded the case, PSU, RAM, SATA drive and DVD drive just after christmas. Since then I seem to have problem after problem.

The Problem/Problems

Since the upgrade, I have had various BSOD while doing different tasks and programs randomly closing on me with the usual windows error message. There seems to be no link between the BSOD as they can range from windows drivers to gfx, sound or mcafee software. More recently the BSOD has not been appearing as often, however program crashes are becoming more frequent. I started to log the errors and what I was doing at the time, I will attach this with a few minidumps to check over.

What I have tried

As mentioned I have used the site quite a bit recently, so have done the usual things you see posted on various similar threads.

I have formatted more than once (with a copy of windows I have not used before) and installed all the upto date drivers available (Chipset, lan, sound, sata drivers from gigabyte - video driver from nvidia). All setup processes run through fine with no problems.

I ran Win Memory Diagnostic and Memtest86 on seperate occasions with no fails...details can be found in the log.

I ran 3DMark6 numerous times with no crashes and a score just short of the best for similar systems.

I ran various anti-virus software - Trend Micro, Mcafee, Kapersky with no real threats detected. Altho with the formats I have done i doubt this is virus related.

I have checked cpu temperature at various times and it always seems to be around 40 degrees..the case is well ventalated and i doubt this is caused by overheating.

Plea for Help

Like many people who experience the same thing, this is becoming a real annoyance - not only from the BSOD but the fact I splashed out to upgrade, however my system is now worse than before.

Please Please help if you can - Thank you to anyone in advance!

Hi Wardy :wave: and welcome to TechSpot

I must state: Excellent first post :grinthumb - please keep it up

-------------------------------
Inside the minidumps:

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : win32k.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : nv4_disp.dll

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, bf8011a3, ba230a48, 0}

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, bf80404b, b5ad69e4, 0}

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 804e5701, b71ec7c8, 0}
Unable to load image ALCXWDM.SYS, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ALCXWDM.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ALCXWDM.SYS
Probably caused by : portcls.sys
Info on fix for this one:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921401/en-us
and here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810272

----------------

Actually I'm thinking powersupply
Obviously hardware related, it's a matter of swapping parts I feel, until you find the culprit.

Hi Kimsland :wave:

Thank you for your quick reply!

I guess I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be hardware related, afterall when you buy something new you expect it to work. Maybe I am just too naive

I think the problem is that I upgraded too much at once and it's now hard to pin-point the culprit. I will do as suggested and revert back to my old system in order to test each component one by one - oh joy of joy's :(

Thank you again for your help and the welcome! :D

I guess you could say I learn quickly ;)

It may take a few days to test everything, I figure it will involve replacing parts one by one and running for a day or two at a time in order to test. but I will post results as soon as possible! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back