P4 3.6ghz Socket Lga 775
i have a DFI 915p - tag mobo
120GB HDD
256Mb radeon X300 graphics card
768Mb PC3200 DDR 400mhz ram
and more which i do not think is relivent
but my problem comes in when trying to install windows:
The problem I am having is

When I am installing windows XP pro just during the start of the installation (it is blue screen straight after I boot from CD) just when it says starting windows at the bottom the screen will go completely blank for a few seconds and then another blank screen will come up saying:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop message screen restart your computer.

If it appears again follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. (Yup got 120GB)

If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with manufacturer updates (I don’t have windows so I haven’t installed any drivers)

Try changing video adapters (am going to soon when my mate gets here with a old 4MB PCI graphics card)

Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates (have updated bios to latest version)

Disable cahing or shadowing memory (have disabled the memory caching)

If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart your computer and press F8 to select advanced start up options then select safe mode (there is no safe mode as there is no OS installed)

Technical info

***stop 0x0000007E ( oxc 0000005, oxf9a380bf, oxf9e84208, oxf9e834208, 0xe9e83f08

*** PCI.SYS address f9a380bf base at f9a31000, date stamp 3b7d8ssc

I have also tried installing windows 98 using a start up disk and the CD rom

With this it gets right up to you putting in the date and then you insert and the computer cuts all power off so you can not access windows at all

I have tried both of these at least 3 times and am getting quite annoyed with the lot now

I have built about 6 PC’s in the past but have never had problems like this.

Edit: Please use proper thread titles from now on and post in the correct forum. Thread moved.

I did a quick google on 0x7e PCI.sys Install, I found this thread here and this one here and MS have a few links on their site about this error, here's one, might be of help.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back