BSODs and Random Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ysman

I did a complete rehaul of my PC about 4 months ago and I've been experiencing all types of BSOD's and random system crashes. The crashes are usually a lockup that results in my audio replaying like a broken record and occasionally a completely random restart (without BSOD). The crashes do not occur just when I play games.

A few weeks back, when I'd boot up Windows, it would find new Hardware (PCI Device). I tried reinstalling Mobo Drivers and it fixed the problem but it actually increased the frequency of the BSODs and crashes. I also had problems updating my BIOS when I originally installed my mobo. It wouldn't allow my PC to boot into Windows unless I used the default BIOs.

Here are the errors I find in event manager (starting from most recent):

The Application Layer Gateway Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Application Layer Gateway Service service to connect.

Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 bab38d70, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

The HTTP SSL service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the HTTP SSL service to connect.

Error code 10000050, parameter1 812c313a, parameter2 00000008, parameter3 80540a24, parameter4 00000000.

The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 d355651d, parameter2 0000001c, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 80544bff.

Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 ba513569.

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bfa7eca8, parameter3 b3b12a64, parameter4 00000000.

I've tried reinstalling mobo drivers, graphics drivers and sound card drivers. I've tried running Windows Memory Diagnostic with multiple passes, but it shows no faulty memory, however when I send error report to Microsoft, it says that it suspects faulty RAM.

My system specs are as follows:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP2
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
1.87GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS Superclocked 320MB 320-bit GDDR PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400

Linksys Wired Gigabit Network Adapter

Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHz Router

Motorola SBS101 SURFBoard Cable Modem

Mad Dog MegaSTOR 16x Triple Format DVD Burner

Comp-USA 16x DVD-ROM Drive

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Soundcard

Can't tell you the power supply model off hand, but its 600w and appears to be running smooth.
I also use three different internal hard drives...2 Seagates and a Maxtor. OS is running on a Seagate.
I have dual boot Vista/XP with XP on as my main OS. Crashes also occur when running on Vista with minimal software installed (just Norton Internet Security, NOD32, Deamon Tools, keyboard drivers, mouse drivers, video and sound drivers, etc.)

4 most recent Minidumps are attached to this thread, along with a copy of DxDiag.txt.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    54.9 KB · Views: 5
Check that you're running the RAM at the correct voltage. You're getting a lot of memory errors.

Two of the minidumps show memory corruption:

MODULE_NAME: memory_corruption
IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption
FOLLOWUP_NAME: memory_corruption
DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0
MEMORY_CORRUPTOR: STRIDE

Another shows CLI_FAULT:

SYMBOL_NAME: nt!KiServiceExit2+0
FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner
IMAGE_NAME: hardware
DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0
MODULE_NAME: hardware
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: CLI_FAULT

This might indicate problem with RAM or PSU.
Test your RAM with memtest.

Thank you both for the feedback. I ran Windows Diagnostic again, no indication of faulty memory, about to run Memtest86+.

How would I go about checking the voltage or finding out the correct voltage for my RAM? Is there a guide or FAQ of some sort I can look at?

Kk, I ran Memtest86+, Standard Tests, 2 Passes, 0 errors.

I downloaded Nvidia's NTune and let it "Fine Tune" my system. My PC crashed once during the tune, but according to the program, hanging and crashes are to be expected. Haven't gotten any crashes yet since the tune, but I haven't really tried to push my computer by playing games or letting it run overnight.

On another note, I ran Scandisk on all my drives last night. No file errors or surface errors. I also went into safemode, ran Ad-Aware and Spybot. No reported spyware or malware in Ad-Aware, just tracking cookies. Removed those. Spybot reported a few spywares, removed those. Ran Nortons virus scan, all was clear there except for a few cookies.

I'll try that program SIW and see whats up with it.

Ysman said:
Thank you both for the feedback. I ran Windows Diagnostic again, no indication of faulty memory, about to run Memtest86+.

Make sure you let Memtest run for at least 7 passes, some say 10. It will take a long time, at least 30~40 mins per pass, so it is best to leave it running overnight. If it finds any problems you have to test each RAM module individually.
Ysman said:
How would I go about checking the voltage or finding out the correct voltage for my RAM? Is there a guide or FAQ of some sort I can look at?

Check your RAM for a spec sticker, it might have voltage info on it.
If no sticker check via Corsair web page voltage requirements for you particular model of RAM.

Ok, now that I've ran Memtest86+, I'm getting a bunch of pop ups from Norton saying "An Intrusion Attempt was blocked"

The intrustion attempt was made by my computer!

The risk name is "Invalid UDP Destination Port"

I went and installed HijackThis and created a log file. I'll attach it to this post. If the mods feel this isn't relevent to this topic, then I'll start a new thread...

Flyeroz said:
Make sure you let Memtest run for at least 7 passes, some say 10. It will take a long time, at least 30~40 mins per pass, so it is best to leave it running overnight. If it finds any problems you have to test each RAM module individually.

Check your RAM for a spec sticker, it might have voltage info on it.
If no sticker check via Corsair web page voltage requirements for you particular model of RAM.

Ok, so once I find out my voltage requirements, how do I find out my current voltage and how do I go about fixing the problem? If there is a guide on this issue, I'd like to take a look.

Just a quick post... I built my system from scratch awhile back. I never had a problem with it till I started to get a BSOD once at startup and once after I was surfing around. I thought it was the ram and was half right. I removed both sticks, and cleaned out the slots. There was a build up of dust on one. I have a gaming case and the side intake fane blows right on the ram. Since I cleaned it, I never had a crash again.. Something to consider.

I ran Memtest86+, 19 passes, standard tests, no errors.

I looked in my BIOS and I don't see any settings for RAM voltage. I saw voltage for the rest of the system, which was not changeable.

The only other suggestion I haven't tried is reseating the RAM and cleaning any dust build up on the slots.

I was playing Chessmaster, went out to get a drink and came back to find my computer locked up again. I waited 10 minutes, tried pressing Caps Lock or Num Lock to see if there was a response, but nothing. I usually have these lockups during games or when I leave my PC running overnight.

Anyway, I took a look at Event Manager and it showed no system errors for today, so I don't know if these lockups are related to the intermittent BSODs I've been experiencing or what.

BTW, I have 3 Case fans and my temperatures are coming up as:

CPU Core 0 Temperature................................44 ºC (111 ºF)
CPU Core 1 Temperature................................42 ºC (108 ºF)
GPU...........................................................67 ºC (153 ºF)
HDD Temperature (Maxtor 6Y200P0)................41 ºC (106 ºF)
HDD Temperature (ST3200822A).....................43 ºC (109 ºF)
HDD Temperature (ST3320620AS)...................42 ºC (108 ºF)

I'm still getting lock ups, about 3 or 4 since my last post. No BSODs however. I uninstalled Nortons, thinking that might be a culprit, since it pops up frequently in errors in my Event Manager, but it did not cause the lockups to cease.

Looking at nTune, the options to change the system voltage (CPU, Memory, etc.) are grayed out, leading me to assume that my mobo doesn't have the capability to change voltages. There is no option in BIOS and I'm afraid that upgrading my BIOS may just lead to my PC not booting up as it did when I first tried it at the initial install.

Not sure if this will help any of you help me, but I attached the system info file saved from nTune.

Attachments

• sysinfo.log
    40.8 KB · Views: 6
Please verify exactly which PSU you have. Although it may be 600W, if it is bad quality, you will see drops in the 12V rail which will cause BSODs. I had a 520W quality PSU, but when i added the 8800GT, the 12V rail began to droop. I upgraded to a 750W (which is overkill).

Please download speedfan and post your voltages under load.

Also, please dowload PC WIzard from here:http://www.cpuid.com/download/pcw2008_v182.exe and install.
Open it and go to FILE SAVE AS, and save the text file on your desktop.
Then copy the text into the thread.

Right click on My COmputer, Properties and then open Device Manager.
Click on the hardware tab and tell me if you have any yellow or red symbols (make not of which ones).

The only question mark I have in Device Manager is Audio Device On High Definition Audio Bus. However, this is because I have not installed my Mobo's audio drivers and use a Soundblaster sound card.

As an update, I'm still recieving random BSOD's and lockups, however, they aren't as frequent. I get em like once or twice a day instead of multiple times.

I attached the text file you requested (PCWizard 2008).

I'll have to get back to you about the model of my PSU, I still haven't gotten around to opening my PC up (reseat RAM, check PSU supply model, etc.)

Attachments

• PCWiz.TXT
    1.3 KB · Views: 8
PLease do exactly as i say here, the file you have linked is not enough information.

Open PC Wizard and go to FILE SAVE AS, and save the text file on your desktop.
Then copy the text into the thread.

Also, i need to know what PSU you have.

Has anyone looked over the PCWIz info I posted? Is it my PSU, GPU, Mobo?

I also want to comment that my system does crash more frequently when I am playing PC games. For example, if I browse the web or listen to music, it may crash over a prolonged period of time, maybe every 3 or 4 hours. However if I am playing a game like WoW or Warriors Orochi, it crashes as frequent as every hour, maybe even every 20 minutes on bad days.

When I play WoW, I usually play it on windowed mode. If say I use Winamp at the same time and bring it up to the top, sometimes my WoW client will bug out and display a bunch of colored polygons and shapes. I'm not sure if this is indicating that my vid card is going up or what. Just thought this might have something to do with my overall system trouble. This particular issue just recently started cropping up, so it may have to do with a recent patch; it was about 2 weeks or so ago I started noticing it.

Any more feedback would be much appreciated, especially on the PCWiz information I just posted. I would like to know the culprit before I decide to go out and start replacing hardware.

Broken video cards usually display colored blocks during the computers boot sequence. You didn't mention anything happening during the boot cycle so your video card probably isn't the culprit. What you'll need to do first is test your computer at its' stock settings. By stock settings I mean if you've over clocked anything you'll need to set whatever it is back to default. If you've tightened the memory timings beyond their rated timings then you'll need to loosen them.

The first test you'll do is a memory test using Memtest+. Either burn an ISO to a CD or make a boot able floppy. Go into you computer's BIOS and set either the CD or floppy as the primary boot device, save the settings, and boot your computer. Your computer should boot into the CD or floppy you just made and start testing your memory. Let the test run for seven full passes. I'd plan on running the test over night. If any red error messages pop up before the tests are completely finished then you know that your memory is broken and needs to be replaced. At this point, if you do get error messages and want to figure out which of your memory dimms is broken then you'll have to open your computer and remove all but one of your memory dimms, and test each dimm separately.

Next you'll need to test your hard drive with a testing utility from the hard drive manufacturer. If you get to this point let us know which manufacturer made your hard drive and we'll help you find the proper test utility.

If this is your memory then it needs to be set at 1.9 volt.

I've tried Memtest+ in the past, with no errors. I recently tried running several passes and still no errors were found. I tried it on extended tests as well. I also tried other memory diagnostic and test programs, still no errors found.

My BIOs doesn't give me the option to set my memory voltage. My Nvidia control panel has the option to set such voltages, but it is greyed out as if my mobo doesn't have the option to set those particular voltages.

I have not over clocked anything on my PC including memory timings.

I have three different hard drives and an external (for extra storage). The hard drive my OS runs on is a Seagate. The other two are another Seagate and a Maxtor.

I noticed that my computer freezes up and crashes more frequently if I am working with multiple programs. For instance, say I am running WoW in windowed mode and I open up Winamp. I'm fine listening to music for about 20 minutes, then I open Internet Explorer. Everything is still running smooth, no slow down or lowering of frame rates. Then I try opening a folder to play more music and my computer locks up. The music playing will studder at a certain point, sorta like a broken record. From this state my PC does not recover. CapsLock doesn't light up when pressed, nor does NumLock.

Other times it will be a blue screen, other times it might be a flat out reboot with no apparent provocation.

Once again, I'll comment on how this has been happening about a few months after I built this system. Also the BSODs and crashes are not limited to when I work with multiple programs; they also happen when my computer is idle or when I am running only one or two programs.

If there are better testing programs that might find an actual culprit, I'm all ears.

I just took a look inside my machine, reseated the Ram sticks. Not one flake of dust on em, they look clean and seated nice and snug. I also took my vid card out and cleaned the dust off its fan/vents and reseated it.

Still recieve random crashes and BSODs. My power supply was hot enough to fry an egg on it tho. It is a 650w.

sounds like u're power supply is going bad and this can cause all kinds of problems. there is not a way to test it that I know of and some one will correct me on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back