BSOD's won't let me finish this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugawug

I'm re-writing this for the 3rd time b/c BSOD's keep killing me midway through writing!!! :giddy: :giddy:

These errors cite win32k.sys file as the problem!! That's just the start, read on!:

I have a dual boot of XP Pro SP2, one for web development (IIS, MySQL, PHP, etc.) and the other stictly for music production. I'm getting BSOD's all the time, some IRQ related, some KERNEL_PANIC, some instant reboots, and lately some citing "win32.sys" (or something) as the problem file!!!

Often they seem to happen while in IE!!??

Anyway, the music OS has a lot of music hardware attached, while on the development OS, it's all disabled in device manager. So I figured some of it was problems with the hardware, but then why do I get so many also on the development side with none of this stuff installed?

Here are my specs and I will attach some Minidumps (not including these last 2 crashed with the win32k.sys error). I'm hoping someone can tell me where my problem(s) lie and whether or not a fresh install is my only hope or not (I've been considering reformatting and simply using one OS next time).

p.s. I've run the memtest quite a bit with no errors either...

AMD 64 3500+
Asus A8V Deluxe
2GB Kingston DDR 400mhz Value RAM
160GB SATA Seagate Barracuda (partitioned 40/120 each with a XP Pro install)
Connect3d Radeon 9550GE
Plextor IDE DVD burner
Floppy

If the BSOD happened to both of ur operating system at the same time, chances are the problem is in ur hardware. Check the temperature of ur CPU, maybe ur heatsink fan stopped working, then try to reduce the RAM sticks u're using (if u have 4x512 sticks, try to use them one by one to determine which one is faulty (if any). No errors at memtest doesn't guarantee ur RAM sticks are good, it's the opposite, errors at memtest guarantees ur RAM sticks are bad. Try to replace ur PSU, it's the most common thing to cause BSOD, along with faulty RAM.

Then again, maybe it's caused by a virus or a corrupted system files (although i find it unlikely that both of ur OS corrupts at the same time). Try scanning ur HD for viruses at another comp which u're sure is virus free.

If u have some spare time, try installing a third OS in ur computer (preferably with another HD), it only takes less than an hour to instal windows and the important drivers. If the BSOD still occurs, then u can be sure it's a hardware problem.

thanks Otmakus...you have some good ideas. i'm still hoping someone can maybe give me a better idea with deciphering my minidumps.

the CPU temp seems fine, the heatsink works fine, but i remember the 5V power coming in low, sometimes 4.81V. i think it's a Smartpower 2.0, it came with my Antec Sonata II. i'll check the RAM first, then maybe consider buying a new p/s.

on my development OS, since the music hardware is disabled and no drivers for it installed, there is no way that could effect or cause these errors, could it? that could explain why i get the errors on both sides.

anyway, if someone can check my minidumps, i'd be SUPER :D :D grateful

Dugawug,

I take a look to your minidumps. One minidump is inaccessible and one minidump crash with bugcheck 7F and nt status code 8. One minidump crashed with instruction misaligned. They are symptom of faulty ram.

Suggestion
1. Reseat the memory stick to another memory slot
2. Downclock the ram
3. Clean the inside the computer case
4. Make sure that the ram is compatible to the motherboard
If it still crashes, diagnostic which memory stick is faulty
1. Take out one memory stick. If windows does not crash, the removed memory stick is faulty.
2. If you have only one memory stick, replace the ram

thanks cpc2004! invaluable info! (i hope someone out there pays you well for your knowledge, sorry it can't be me! :eek: )

was there anything indicating some other hardware piece causing it? i've seen so many types of BSOD's, i'm afraid i may have more than one problem.

i currently have Kingston Value RAM, i'm 95% sure it's the correct RAM for my mobo, and it was passing memtest even left on overnight.

anyway, i will try each stick individually and in different slots...i have 2X1GB in a brand new, very clean case.

i took one of my RAM sticks out and i ran last night w/ no BSOD at all...!!!

anyway, i must ask why memtest doesn't pick up on the faulty RAM?

Hi,

If memtest report the ram is faulty and the ram is faulty. Vicevers if memtest does not report the ram is faulty, it does not mean the ram is good. As ome faulty ram can pass memtest. It is the reason why my ram debugging procedure does not have memtest.

so far, i've tried each stick individually and i'm getting no errors anymore! maybe i haven't given each try enough time, but is there a way my system could crash when having two sticks instead of one? next i will try both sticks in the other two slots, but they are the non dual channel ones ... :confused:

sorry to intrude, but mr cpc, when your done, do you think you could take a look at mine? I PM'ed you earlier...

it's so strange...i tried each stick individually and got no BSOD...now i'm back at both sticks installed (in the same slots even) and here a day and a half with no BSOD yet!?

i guess either i haven't given it enough time (sometimes I would get the BSOD more often than others) or maybe my RAM just wasn't fit fully or properly in the slots before...

Hi,

Maybe it is the bad contact between the memory stick and the memory slot. It seems that you fixed the problem. As you know, hardware problem is difficult to explain. You want the problem fix and not the academic explanation of the root cause.

cpc2004 said:
Hi,

Maybe it is the bad contact between the memory stick and the memory slot. It seems that you fixed the problem. As you know, hardware problem is difficult to explain. You want the problem fix and not the academic explanation of the root cause.

right, thanks, but i also like to have a plain logical explanation, and my computer is seeming to defy that! ;)

i'm not complaining, it's working now fine for 3 days. i'm just hoping it's fixed for good now...only time will tell...

so if memtest86 won't show me if my RAM is bad or not, what will?

i'm clueless now...it seems if i run one stick alone, its fine...

ok, i'll try that.

but can anyone forsee why i only have problems with both sticks of RAM and not each alone? this must be a clue!! ;)

at this point, i just want to be sure new RAM will fix it, if possible.

Can you give me the specs of each of your ram sticks.

Check with your mobo manufacturers website for what types, and makes of ram are supported by your mobo.

Also check in your mobo manual for the different supported ram configurations.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

howard_hopkinso said:
Can you give me the specs of each of your ram sticks.

Check with your mobo manufacturers website for what types, and makes of ram are supported by your mobo.

Also check in your mobo manual for the different supported ram configurations.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

the RAM is this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=K24-5824

It's even on the Vendor Approved List of my motherboard (Asus A8V Deluxe)

And I have them set up as the mobo suggests, in both blue slots...

I'm sure the RAM is proper for the system, but it seems to have problems working with both sticks.

A friend said maybe in dual channel mode with both sticks, the RAM can't keep up with the demands of the mobo and that's when the BSOD must be happening. He recommended custom BIOS settings for the RAM, but I am a newbie. ;)

Maybe you should contact Asus. They may be able to explain what the problem is.

I can`t give you an explanation as to why this maybe happening.

Untill then just run your system with one stick of ram.

Regards Howard :cool:

ok, i put both sticks in again and get BSOD very quickly.
also, IE crashes left and right...might be tied to Flash animations on pages.

anyway, can someone verify that these brand new minidumps are from bad RAM? if they are, i'm going to buy new RAM and just hope it works.

thanks in advance!

One of your minidumps crashes with a hardware error.

It may be either the mobo, or cpu.

If I had to guess, I`d plump for the mobo, but it`s only a guess.

Get that 20 to 24 pin converter, and see what happens.

Regards Howard :cool:

20 to 24 pin converter? sorry, i'm a newbie techie :)

that seems really odd...doesn't seem RAM related? it does to me, if i put two sticks in, i get the problems, one stick seems to run fine. i put two sticks in the two other slots, same problem.

everything is brand new...i'm going to buy new RAM and hope for the best. i was hoping you'd say the RAM was surely it. :rolleyes:

Hi,

One of your latest dump crashed with bugcheck C2.
BugCheck C2, {7, cd4, a, e1e7ef50}
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!HeavyFreePool+bb )

According to record, I have one confirmed case it is related to m/b and one confirmed case is related to faulty ram.

Confirmed faulty m/b but this case it has evidence it is faulty m/b. For your case, your PC does not have the same evidence.
AndyS_UK
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic32555.html

Confirmed faulty ram at another forum (experts-exchange)

The following cases have the same symptom but no feedback from the problem owner as I assume they are related to faulty ram. You can send them a pm to ask for confirmation

Srikbond
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=195976#post195976
Dna Boy
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic18084-pg2.html&pp=20
Bowie (he will contact microsoft and feedback. But I haven't heard from him)
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic32555.html
Computra
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic17691-pg12.html&pp=20

Suggestion
1. Downclock the ram
2. Downclock the CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back