BT software uninstall after wireless network install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absinthe Minded

Hello all,

I've set a wireless network up for a friend. They have a desktop PC running xp home and a laptop running xp Pro. I've installed a Netgear router / modem on the desktop and a Netgear USB network adapter on the laptop. Prior to this, they accessed the net via a speedtouch adsl modem.

The first problem was that the BT software installed for their broadband connection kept trying to manage the network, disabling the windows zero configuration network management program. There was no way to uninstall this via add/remove programs so I navigated to the file in programs and renamed it - that worked.

The problem I now have is that on startup, BT keeps trying to connect to the net and obviously fails as connection is now managed by the router. This results in me having to wait for two or three error messages and then clear them. Then the router connect automatically and all is well.

So, how can I stop these messages? It seems I must uninstall all of the BT software but Add / remove is now free of BT programs. Also, there are two other users that need their accounts set up via the router, so I'd need to clear the software there too.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick.

Hi

Start > Run > Msconfig > enter and see if there is anything in there related to the BT software, also try the standard start up folder, the path is

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs"

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so fast - I'll do as you say.
If I remove items from msconfig and the start uop folder, will these changes affect all users, or just the one I'm logged in as?

Cheers,
Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back