Buffer Overrun Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone.
Here is an error message I keep getting while running IE 7 and Firefox when I switched to that.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Buffer overrun detected!
Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iesplore.exe
A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The programcannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

I have checked across several forums to see what this error message means and from what I can gather, there is not one definitive source. HiJackThis seems to be the greatest method of dealing with it though. I ran the program and have attached the log. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    5 KB · Views: 10
Hi and welcome to techspot. =)

Your system is infected with a lop hijacker, and possibly other malware.

Download LSPFix from http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm
1. Disconnect from the Internet, go to the LSPfix file and extract/unzip LSP-Fix into its own folder [C:\lspfix].
2. Open the lspfix folder and double-click on LSPFix.exe to start the program.
3. Check the "I know what I am doing" checkbox.
4. Select (highlight) all instances of 'pctlsp.dll' in the left column under "Keep".
5. Click the arrow >> so it goes over to the right column under "Remove".
6. Click "Finish" and LSPfix will remove references to the file and restore the chain numbers.
7. Restart your computer

I noticed that you are also running an outdated version of HijackThis.

Please go to this thread HERE.

Important: Please read this thread HERE before you decide whether to clean or reformat your system.

Should you decide to clean your computer, please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps to cleaning your computer.
Do follow all the instructions exactly.

Thereafter, please post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste if not it will be ignored and/or removed by the moderators.
The logs will enable us to understand more about the problems on your system.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

Fresh Logs for HJT, AVG and ComboFix

I followed the intructions on how to clean up the computer to the letter. I also have 3 fresh logs from HJT AVG and ComboFix attached. Thanks for all your help on this, it is greatly appreciated.

Your HijackThis log is clean.

Your AVG Antispyware log says no action taken. Please run it again via the instructions in the link I gave before.

Pleast post fresh AVG Antispyware and ComboFix logs afterwards, just to ensure that the system is clean.

Regards :)

It looks now like your system is clean. However, it looks like you're not running any firewall software, which is a security risk. I recommend running either ZoneAlarm or Kerio (free firewall programs).

Is your system still detecting malware?

Hey, no problem! If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

I recommend reading this thread to help you keep from getting infected again.

Regards :)

This thread is for the use of Dumanated only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back