Building a computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aman501

Alright, I'm a real newbie so be nice...

I'm in the market for a PC That would work well, doesn't need to be great, with games, like flight sims.

My budget is around $1200 maybe up to $1500 if its really good.

I don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound card, or any optical drives.

I've built some online at sites but I've never built one myself and I've read that thats better so...

suggestions? Input would be greatly appreciated thank you!

-aman-

alright

Lets say.... AMD Athlon X2 4400+ to 4800+?

And would 939 pin or AM2 be better? or is there a difference?

AMD x2 4400
ASUS-M2N32-SLI Deluxe
2x1GB TakeMs DDR2/667mhz- work frequency 918mhz
Asus-Extreme N6800GT NV-6600GT

Just open notepad, write down all the parts of a computer you'll need, then get on Newegg and look each part up thats a reasonable price, add it all up and see where you are.

Also I've been building PCs for 6 years now, always been an AMD guy, but the Intel Core Duo 2's are smokin hot, and absoultely blow AMD's best cpus out of the water for their price. Just google "Intel Core Duo 2 Reivew", look at the benchmarks and see how that lineup compares to AMD's CPUs in games, and you'll be sold by your own eyes.

If your budget is 1200 - 1500 you can build a very good computer...

Go with socket AM2..

Motherboard

Case..I got this one its great..This may not be your taste..

Harddrive

Ram

Processor

Rounded IDE Cable

You said you didnt need DVD-RW drive's but here are some.

Video Card

This is a great setup...My friends is like this except this CPU is way better than his AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and his is blazing fast...

This setup is about $655 and thats not including the optical drive since you said you had some..And that motherboard has a great onboard sound..

Be sure to get a SerialATAII hdd. Also Im sorry but I still have to say go with Intel this round, the Duo2's are too smokin for you to pass up.. it'd be silly. Do some research and make a decision for yourself, google "Athlon *CPU YOUR THINKING ABOUT* Review" or "Intel Core Duo2 Review", otherwise you'll spend a buncha money and find out you didnt get the system you could have with your money. You'll also learn a lot :)

Get Core 2 Duo instead. It Pwns any AMD system for the same price.

Core 2 Duo E6700
ASUS P5WDH Deluxe
2GB Corsair XMS2 PC 6400
150GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM HDD
ATI X1950XTX Crossfire edition (its the same as the regular card in clock speeds and price so if you want to get Crossfire later, you can just get the easier to find regular card)
Any old (or new) ATX case
500 watt or more PSU from antec, enermax, PCP&C, Fortron etc.

---agissi--- said:
Be sure to get a SerialATAII hdd. Also Im sorry but I still have to say go with Intel this round, the Duo2's are too smokin for you to pass up.. it'd be silly. Do some research and make a decision for yourself, google "Athlon *CPU YOUR THINKING ABOUT* Review" or "Intel Core Duo2 Review", otherwise you'll spend a buncha money and find out you didnt get the system you could have with your money. You'll also learn a lot :)

Umm, I think I showed him a SATA 3gb/s HDD..

And also I know that the Intel Core 2 Extreme is better than the best X2 im not dumb.

dmill89 said:

Get a 7900GTO, they pwn GT's, and tone it down a little on the motherboard, SLI isn't worth it IMO, especially with DX10 around the corner.

Get a P965 chipset board, with 2 PCI-e slots. That supports crossfire, and get a X1900XT 256mb. It pwns 7900GT(O) both of them.

johnmayo said:
Metal X it wont for long...

Intel is to mainsteam for me..
Intel has a quad-core Core 2 coming out soon... I think they are going to be on top for quite a while.

aman501 said:
My budget is around $1200 maybe up to $1500 if its really good.

I don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound card, or any optical drives.

You;ll do it for that price no problem, if its for gaming throw everything into CPU, RAM and graphics and just go for small initially with HDD size, extra optical drives, etc. You can add these things later on. I well remember being like you and having no money to spend on these very wanted, wonderful things so I do know what its like.

MetalX said:
Intel has a quad-core Core 2 coming out soon... I think they are going to be on top for quite a while.

So does AMD..

And its two sockets with a dual-core in each one..

I agree, I am pulling out my old sytem with a 400mhz Celeron, 128mb of ram, 8m of onboard video ram, and a 40 gigabyte HDD, and a DVD-RW Drive...

And its running Microsoft Windows XP Professional build 2600 Service Pack 2..

Motherboard

Case..I got this one its great..This may not be your taste..

Harddrive

Ram

Processor

Rounded IDE Cable

You said you didnt need DVD-RW drive's but here are some.

Video Card

F1N3ST said:
Get a 7900GTO, they pwn GT's, and tone it down a little on the motherboard, SLI isn't worth it IMO, especially with DX10 around the corner.

I disagree. I think his Mobo is a great choice, he might want to upgrade for some extra juice later on in games but not want a full new mobo/cpu/vc/ram/etc. So he can pop in another 7900GT.

Also I think your a bit overboard on the PSU, that thing is a killer. I'd get a psu thats $140 or less. I dont think you'll be needing a PSU that beefy, even in SLI. The 7900s draw a lot less power than the 7800s did. RAM and HDD look great.

johnmayo said:
So does AMD..

And its two sockets with a dual-core in each one..

Which makes Intel's better because it only needs one socket. Also, if that is the case, saying that AMD has a quad core processor coming out is not true because really it is 2 seperate dual cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back