Building a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonated

Hey everyone and thanks in advance for any help!

Anyway, I'm planning on buying parts to cobble together a computer, but I'm kind of new to this. I know what I need (Motherboard etc.) and I found a few how-tos on the actual building of the computer but I need help with my research...So far I have found these nine items using Newegg...Tell me if there are any compatibility problems (I'm planning on upgrading to SLI later when I save up more) and/or I need a better PSU or any other advice:

NZXT Nemesis Elite Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811146030

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822152052

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814130072

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16829102006

Thermaltake W0106RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 700W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817153039

OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P8002GK - Retail
Item #: N82E16820227089

ABIT IN9 32X-MAX LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813127020

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115017

ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail
Item #: N82E16835118223

Plus some other case fans...

IMO the X-Fi card isn't really necessary. The Diamond 7.1 card on Newegg or even the Audigy Value edition should be enough. Also, I'd reckon you should go for a 650i-based SLI motherboard, since it OCs and performs just as well as it's 680i counterpart and the northbridge runs cooler, besides being cheaper.

I'm getting the 680i mobo because I'm not sure if the 650 can support Penryn processors, and I want maximum upgradability. As for the sound card, I want to be sure I have a good one because I'll probably be outputting sound to my house's speaker system.

I think almost all of the motherboards that support Conroe CPUs will also accept Penryns, after a BIOS update or so. I saw a demonstration of a Penryn running on a slightly-modified 975X chipset motherboard so I don't think there's any chance of the 650i not supporting it. But if you want to be on the safe side, be my guest. :)
As for the sound card, get the Diamond one in that case. It will provide excellent quality sound output for a fraction of the X-Fi's price.

Nice spec! Get some good after market cooling and the skies the limit! should be up for some blistering speeds if ya don't mind a dable in the BIOS.

Yea I know itll be fast...thanks for the sound card tip Im really trying to keep it all as far under 2k as I can, and I think I'm at 1.6k which is definitely witghing my budget..On a different note I was reading around about power supplies...some people with a similar build to mine have way higher wattage PSUs and does the amount of Amps on the 12v rails make a big diff? I know Im kind of getting into the details but I want to be absolutely sure of everything before I get into it.

More important than the parts or how much current the 12 volt rail has is your building skill...

Things like:

Do you know how to install a CPU heatsink using a thermal comopund and all?

Do you know how to install motherboards using the proper mounting hardware, and static safeguards?

Do you know how to install memory, paying attention to the cutout keys?

Do you know how to install all the power supply connectors to all the proper places on the motherboard and on the other components?

Are you going to use a floppy drive?

A quality power supply will have plenty of current available on the 12 volt rail(s)

Tmagic650 said:
More important than the parts or how much current the 12 volt rail has is your building skill...

Things like:

Do you know how to install a CPU heatsink using a thermal comopund and all?
Yes
Do you know how to install motherboards using the proper mounting hardware, and static safeguards?
Ordering static grounding wristband, found a howto with detailed instructions
Do you know how to install memory, paying attention to the cutout keys?
Yes
Do you know how to install all the power supply connectors to all the proper places on the motherboard and on the other components?
Yes (In the howto)
Are you going to use a floppy drive?

No
A quality power supply will have plenty of current available on the 12 volt rail(s)
Thanks I was getting so worried about parts I forgot about the actual building of the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back