Building a gaming PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Hey everyone,

I was just about to buy an Alienware computer, but a bunch of friendly people just saved me from a huge mistake. Now, I've decided to build my own functional (hopefully!) gaming computer. I want my computer to run games like WoW and CS:S lag free. I've selected these key parts so far, And i've ordered a book and how to to choose and build my own gaming PC. (Will arrive Tuesday). These are the parts i have selected so far. Please let me know if these parts can run WoW / CS:S smoothley, and if not, what i need to upgrade on.

Here are the parts so far:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL/ULC/CE/CB/TUV - Retail

AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor

NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard

XFX PVT71JYHE9 Geforce 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP ExTreme Edition Video Card

Those are the parts. Please let me know,

Thanks.

The FX-62 is a useless buy, since a cheaper Core 2 Duo like the E6400 when OC'd can beat the FX-62 without a question. Get the E6400/E6600 instead. Also, get the X1900XTX since it bests the 7950GT very easily. Get the ASUS P5WDH motherboard since it supports Crossfire, if u decide to add another card in the future. Prices shouldn't be too different but if ur getting a PC, get the full works instead of going for underpowered (;)) parts. The power supply looks superb though, PC Power & Cooling is the best maker of PSUs out there IMO.

... since a cheaper Core 2 Duo like the E6400 when OC'd can beat the FX-62 without a question...

What does it meen when it's OC'd?

Yes I'm absolutely sure, since it will help u get a super-powered system. For a good example of a powerful system, look at the first one in my profile. OC'd means overclocked. The Core 2 Duos can all be overclocked upto an extra 500-800MHz without adding extra cooling at all!

It cost me roughly 15000 AED, which is around 5000 USD. It's a very powerful system and I can max out any game. Just as an example, in the CS:S stress test I get around 300 FPS and the FEAR system test gives me ~120 FPS.

I just looked it up, How about a

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M sharing L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor ?

Would that be Ideal for WoW and CS:S?

(I looked it up on Newegg)

Yeah it would be awesome. I have one and it screams! I used to have an AMD FX-60 before I got this one BTW, and this one kicks its *** by a large margin. Ok that's the processor done, what about the motherboard? Get the one I have as well if u want. Also, are u considering getting only one graphics card or a Crossfire solution?

Okay, Firstly, Thanks for being So helpful and understanding. Im a newbie with computers. I Don't know what alot of terms mean.

But back to the Graphics card and Motherboard, No. I don't know what motherboard to get, And i dont know what a Crossfire solution or anything like that is.

If your going to suggest any (please do) then suggest some that are ideal for games like WoW or CS:S.

Crossfire is basically ATi's version of SLI i.e. running two graphics cards side by side to get maximum performance. I would suggest that u get the motherboard in my profile, since it supports Crossfire. Also u will need to get one Radeon X1900 Crossfire edition and one normal Radeon X1900 to run them in Crossfire. In addition, aim to get a 2GB dual-channel kit from OCZ, Corsair or Crucial to get best performance.
P.S.-> Why don't u add me on MSN? Will be able to help u better.

HIS Hightech H190CFQ512 Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 IceQ Video Card - Retail

GIGABYTE GV-RC19T512B-RH Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Lead Free Video Card - Retail

Open Box: SAPPHIRE 100159 Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Video Card - OEM

ATI 100-435721 Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

I just looked it up on Newegg. These are the choices i have for the video card. Whitch one?!

Ok, Blackjack I'm going offline now. It's been a pleasure helping ya. Make sure u get at least one Crossfire Edition card like this one for Crossfire to work. The other card can also be a Crossfire Edition card or a normal card like this one. Good luck!:grinthumb

dont get an ATI Crossfire setup they are much less powerfull then a good SLI Nvidia setup. and you dont have to spend 5000$$ to have a really nice setup.

SLI is better for the simple fact that ati's software crossfire connection simply cant compete against Nividias hardware SLI connection.

What does your budget look like and what, Speakers, Monitors, keyboard, mouse,are you using and where is your computer going? I ask because these things can greatly impact what you want to spend money on as far a peripherals and what kind of hardware connections you will want for said peripherals.

Are you nuts?! An X1900 Crossfire setup is a match for any NVIDIA SLI solution, moreso for the fact that the X1900s cost significantly less than their direct competitors, the 7900GTX cards. So a Crossfire solution is less pricey as well as a winner in terms of performance. Check out this review and see for yourself. Also, what do you mean by a Crossfire software connection and an SLI hardware connection? Both are built into the hardware as far as I know, Crossfire in the mobo(and GPU in the case of the X1900 series) and SLI in the mobo as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back