Building a PC need recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I found this site through google and saw some of the great help you were giving to people so I thought I'd come to you too.

Basicly what I plan on doing is building my own computer, and have a few questions on what you would reccomend (and if what I want would work).

For the processor and mobo I was thiking either:

Intel P4 3.0E 1MB (530) 800FSB LGA775 with ASUS P5P800

or

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R

The AMD option comes up to be about $30 dollars cheaper but I'm unsure if I would need to change the stock fan since AMDs are known for heating up.

For the video card I was thinking either:

ATI RADEON 9600XT 128MB

or

ATI RADEON 9800 Pro 128mb

I am leaning more towards the pro because of extra pipelines.

ram

I have no clue what to get for ram, not something overly expensive just something that will suit my needs. I plan to use this computer for both work and play, I want to play doom 3 on it and also work with photoshop, illustrator, etc. on it, 512mb may be too low for the graphics programs but I'm not sure.

Sprite said:
The AMD option comes up to be about $30 dollars cheaper but I'm unsure if I would need to change the stock fan since AMDs are known for heating up.
The tides have turned in a major way as the Prescott P4 (the one with the E right next to it) runs much hotter then any other CPU available right now. Both CPUs will offer comparable performance, the P4 being faster for Video & Audio encoding tasks, the Athlon64 being faster for Games & Compiling.

Sprite said:
ram

I have no clue what to get for ram, not something overly expensive just something that will suit my needs. I plan to use this computer for both work and play, I want to play doom 3 on it and also work with photoshop, illustrator, etc. on it, 512mb may be too low for the graphics programs but I'm not sure.
If you go with your Intel motherboard choice, you will need a DDR II Ram & that alone will cost you a leg & a kidney. If you go with the Athlon64, it will be much cheaper to get 2x 512mb of decent PC3200 ram then getting 2x 512mb of DDR II.

Basicly your choice should be between a P4C & an Athlon64. If you go with Intel, the P4P800-E Deluxe is highly recommended & if you go for the Athlon64, the MSI K8N Neo Platinum is just as recommended.;)

VGA wise, go for the 9800 Pro, the price difference is not big enough to justify getting the 9600XT instead.

As for Ram, 2x 512mb of Crucial PC3200 will be all you need.:)

Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back