Building a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

giyad

So I recently decided I need a desktop computer, and not an expensive one. I was just wondering if anyone knew a place that I could build my own PC? I feel I could build computers better than the ones they sell at bestbuy, but Id rather pay someone to do it for me hehe. So thats basically it, Does anyone know a place I can build my own computer and for cheap? All these overpriced nametags are useless.

Thanks

Give us:

1. Your budget
2. What needs to be included (monitor, OS, keyboard/mouse etc)
3. What you'll mainly be using the system for

And we can suggest the parts for you to buy, and you can put it all together.

build your PC , but not do it yourself?

Dell has some good offers .. monarch computers as well.

Try to do it yourself , umm like you psychically :)

I buy all my parts off newegg.com , tigerdirect.com, and monarchcomputer.com

Like the Don said we need to know your budget and if you'll be reusing any parts...

Most computer shops will have a facility where you bring in all your parts, and they assemble it for you - should be around $50 and they give a warranty!

Regards,

Korrupt

Awesome! Thanks a lot guys.

I guess for building a desktop my budget is around $1000. I feel like I could build a great PC for less than that. The problem is I don't want to initialize everything so having a shop assemble parts for me sounds like a great idea.

I'm going to be installing Windows on it, but I think I'm going to be using it to test out other operating systems as well. I don't care too much about hard drive space cause I use an external anyway.

Thanks again guys

DonNagual said:
Give us:

1. Your budget
2. What needs to be included (monitor, OS, keyboard/mouse etc)
3. What you'll mainly be using the system for

And we can suggest the parts for you to buy, and you can put it all together.

Thats what I was just about to ask also if you dont want to build it yourself there are many vendors who build it for you based upon the parts you want.

I have some great ideas right here:

Try a:

GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard $67.99

Rosewill R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply with 20+4 pin connector - $29.99

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1.8GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - $64.00

Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory - $54.99

LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X
CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache ATAPI/E-IDE 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ 5X DVD-RAM Write $34.99

PNY VCG66256XPB Geforce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card $54.99

For a subtotal of $306.95, minus shipping, but that shouldnt be too much considering your buget :)

sw123

AMD vs Intel

So you would go with AMD chip over Intel... interesting. Can you explain to me why? I don't really know too much about choosing a different processor.

Thanks

Its actualy dependant on prefrence (mostly), needs/use as second and money available (also important).. i would've chose a core2 duo, but thats me..

of course choosing amd or intel would also need a good motherboard to compliment it..

does that budget of $1000 include a monitor as well or just the tower?

Heres what im getting for 800$ w/o optical drive or hard drive
E6400 Core 2 Duo
X1900XT 256Mb
2GB PQi TURBO Series Cas 4 DDR2 667
Xon-103 Case/PSU
ECS Crossfire Mobo

Like 760$ After rebates and ****tping, 240$ should get you a big HD(S) and an optical drive.

F1N3ST said:
Heres what im getting for 800$ w/o optical drive or hard drive
E6400 Core 2 Duo
X1900XT 256Mb
2GB PQi TURBO Series Cas 4 DDR2 667
Xon-103 Case/PSU
ECS Crossfire Mobo

Like 760$ After rebates and ****tping, 240$ should get you a big HD(S) and an optical drive.
I don't like the RAM and I don't like the mobo. I'd also like to see what PSU that case gives you, you're generally taking a risk trying to run a Conroe and a X1900XT on a stock PSU.

giyad said:
So you would go with AMD chip over Intel... interesting. Can you explain to me why? I don't really know too much about choosing a different processor.

Thanks

I choose AMD over Intel because AMD is usually cheaper than an Intel processor, and has much better performance. Also the fact that they're 64-bit.

sw123 said:
I choose AMD over Intel because AMD is usually cheaper than an Intel processor, and has much better performance. Also the fact that they're 64-bit.
Until the Core 2 Duo line was released, that is...

As far as I've seen, AMD has nothing that compares with the Core 2 Duo, right now for the price. The E6600 outperformed the FX-62 and it's over $350 less. Until AMD comes up with some real evidence of a good next-gen AMD processor, I'm sticking with the Conroe.

My fear however is the AMD/ATI merger. Hopefully there won't be any loss of support for Intel with ATI, as I wuv ATI.

We aren't talking about top of the line processors. Notice that this PC is "on a budget" so a E6600 or FX-62 are unreasonable. For around the 80-100 dollar mark, AMD has MUCH better performance than the crappy celeron or Pentium 4 counterparts at the same price.

... and just because YOU have an E6600 (according to your profile) doesn't mean its the best in the world.

SlyMaelstrom said:
I don't like the RAM and I don't like the mobo. I'd also like to see what PSU that case gives you, you're generally taking a risk trying to run a Conroe and a X1900XT on a stock PSU.
You dont like the RAM? Its pqi's highest quality, and is Cas-4 DDR2 667, that i got 2GB for 170$. Do you suggest i get 1GB of XMS for that price, a ******* would do that IMO. This RAM has a great heatsink too, better than the others with the clips that hold it on and dont even touch the RAM modules. And you dont like the mobo? I'd like to see another 965P Mobo, with 2 PCI-e slots. Oh wait, it wont happen.

Eh, don't take him seriously F1N3ST. He just thinks that his computer is the best in the world and if you don't have the same parts as him, your comp sucks. He probably thinks his computer is capable of like 200 teraflops or something :)

Hey F1N3ST, I saw ur going with an ECS mobo. I haven't heard good things about them and according to vnf4ultra, they should be called "Elite Crap Systems"! ;). As for the PSU, I think an Antec, Fortron FSP or even a Thermaltake PSU will be better and safer than the generic garbage that comes with that case.

@sw123, all Intel processors starting from the Pentium 4 HT (Revision F) all the way upto the Core 2 Duos are 64-bit. This is only for desktop CPUs however, since only the Core 2 Duo is 64-bit in laptops.

MetalX, examples must be a new thing to you... you do realize there is a lower model Conroe, right? Two of which fit perfectly in a budget PC, in fact, F1N3ST used one in his PC example. The lower models are still on par with the $700-$800 AMD processors and you can easily work them into a <$1000 budget. So, what are you talking about? Just cause you grew some hairs in places you didn't have hairs before doesn't mean you're eligible to make illogical points.

F1N3ST: You seem to be trying to make a PC that's easily upgradable, which I agree with you on, however you're still going too cheap on the PSU and the motherboard to make room for the heavy graphics card. Plus, I really don't like pqi. I haven't built many computers, but I have installed a lot of RAM recently and pqi has generally been more problematic. As for ECS. I've never had personal problems with them but I heard the same as the person above me. I've yet to hear a real good experience with an ECS board.

If you want an upgradable PC, I'd halve the RAM (and get a more favorable brand like OCZ or Corsair) and use that money to get a better motherboard and a better PSU (>500W). I also can't find this "ECS Crossfire" motherboard anywhere FINEST. The only ones I see by ECS that have Crossfire support are made for AMD processors. Do you have a link?

I just built an Intel Celeron D socket 775, MSI bare bones case/motherboard, Zalman 775 HSF, 1GB Corsiar memory, Seagate 200GB SATA hard drive, Nec Combo CD/DVD Burner, Lite-On DVD ROM for just under $500, not including OS, monitor, mouse and keyboard.

ECS not good!

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Hey F1N3ST, I saw ur going with an ECS mobo. I haven't heard good things about them and according to vnf4ultra, they should be called "Elite Crap Systems"! ;). As for the PSU, I think an Antec, Fortron FSP or even a Thermaltake PSU will be better and safer than the generic garbage that comes with that case.

@sw123, all Intel processors starting from the Pentium 4 HT (Revision F) all the way upto the Core 2 Duos are 64-bit. This is only for desktop CPUs however, since only the Core 2 Duo is 64-bit in laptops.

Yea I am going to have to go with Rage on this one. Have you heard of the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz Proc? It beats a 4400 X2. A hella of alot cheapier and is new as well.

Don't go posting/saying stuff you have no clue to little boy.

Here is an awesome sytem....
Case-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129017
Optical Drive-get 2 or 3 of those
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106013
CPU FAN-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118003
Thermal Grease-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100007
HardDrive-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148066
Mouse/Keyboard-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823126175
Ram-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145153
Motherboard-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131032
PSU-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931
Graphica Card-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143054

Also change the ram from 1GB to 2GB-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

That looks better... however I see no need in 2-3 DVD Burners. I'd say just get one and get a $20 DVD Rom and be done with it. Also, that case is a bit over a $1000 budget case, I say. Lastly, I prefer Western Digital over Seagate, but that's just me.

I agree with sw123. The processor is a matter of personal taste. I am a huge gamer, so therefore I only build them with AMD cpu's. If all you're going to do is use it as a workstation (non-graphics intensive) then Intel may be the way to go.
I've always built them with upgrade in mind since I usually stay one to two steps behind the "New, top of the line" hardware". I'd rather sit it out for a few months and see if there are any bugs in the products.

sghiznaneck said:
I agree with sw123. The processor is a matter of personal taste. I am a huge gamer, so therefore I only build them with AMD cpu's. If all you're going to do is use it as a workstation (non-graphics intensive) then Intel may be the way to go.
I've always built them with upgrade in mind since I usually stay one to two steps behind the "New, top of the line" hardware". I'd rather sit it out for a few months and see if there are any bugs in the products.
Man, doesn't anyone here realise how better Core 2 Duos are for gaming as compared to their AMD equivalents? Here's a review from AnandTech. The E6300 OC'd destroys all of it's AMD competition when it comes to gaming.

SlyMaelstrom said:
MetalX, examples must be a new thing to you... you do realize there is a lower model Conroe, right? Two of which fit perfectly in a budget PC, in fact, F1N3ST used one in his PC example. The lower models are still on par with the $700-$800 AMD processors and you can easily work them into a <$1000 budget. So, what are you talking about? Just cause you grew some hairs in places you didn't have hairs before doesn't mean you're eligible to make illogical points.

F1N3ST: You seem to be trying to make a PC that's easily upgradable, which I agree with you on, however you're still going too cheap on the PSU and the motherboard to make room for the heavy graphics card. Plus, I really don't like pqi. I haven't built many computers, but I have installed a lot of RAM recently and pqi has generally been more problematic. As for ECS. I've never had personal problems with them but I heard the same as the person above me. I've yet to hear a real good experience with an ECS board.

If you want an upgradable PC, I'd halve the RAM (and get a more favorable brand like OCZ or Corsair) and use that money to get a better motherboard and a better PSU (>500W). I also can't find this "ECS Crossfire" motherboard anywhere FINEST. The only ones I see by ECS that have Crossfire support are made for AMD processors. Do you have a link?
Its not called ECS crossfire, it is just capable of crossfire, because crossfire supports 965P chipsets, and this board has 2 PCI-e slots. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135022 is the mobo, and its too late to change, because i already ordered it. Plus i wouldve gotten it anyways :p. And i guess ill go with a quality power supply lol, because i heard X1k cards are power hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back