Building a web site?

vale46

Hi All,

Can anyone give me any advice on how to build a web site?

I have NO idea where or indeed how to start one, i do a little photo manipulating and restoration as a side line and want to reach out to a larger client. I dont need a big fancy site just one to show my work (a few before and after pics etc) and i would prefer it to be free :D

Much appreciation for any help,

Vale.

here's things you need
  1. a public domain name (register your name and get an IP address)
  2. a place to host the site (aka webhosting soultion)
  3. a login to upload + maintain the site (comes with webhosting)
  4. learn HTML coding (and that takes some study)

If you load Apache2 to your system, you can play with HTML coding and see if you
want to spend more time/money to get to your goal.

best wishes (it's actually a lot of fun to learn it)

Thanks Jo,

That all sounds a little complex but if thats the route then i guess there is a lot of reading ahead !

Have you heard of bluevoda ? it makes building one sound childs play !!! am i been naive :(

Cheers

items 1-3 will still be needed regardless of how you create pages.

there are several GUI (Graphic User Interface) tools for creating pages.
you might start with one of them, if it will run on your PC where you can avoid
costs associated with the items listed above. if your needs are simple, then
this might be cost effective for you.

you should understand however, such tools implement only small portions of HTML
features, and as such will limit you in what you can do.
modifying the output of such tools can be painful, even for those with experience.

give it try and see how far it takes you :)

jobeard said:
you should understand however, such tools implement only small portions of HTML
features, and as such will limit you in what you can do.
modifying the output of such tools can be painful, even for those with experience.

give it try and see how far it takes you :)

I so agree with you jobeard, the fast and easy make-a-website programs are tricky to manipulate - I like the program Notetab Pro...

To be honest i gave up on the idea, al check that vid though, wouldnt it be nice if someone could just pop round for a cuppa and show you how is done ;) hahah
Cheers.

vale46, you may have people in your town that will create one for you for a price. It is a lot easier just to pay someone, and it will look how you want it to.

One other thought, if you use a cable or dsl modem service: many of the big ISP's give you free space on their web server and even offer templates and wizards to get you started. For your simple needs, that might be enough, though the downside is that you would not have your own domain name and instead it would be their domain name with a subdomain under your account name (usually.) But, it is free and would be better than doing nothing.

vale46 said:
To be honest i gave up on the idea, al check that vid though, wouldnt it be nice if someone could just pop round for a cuppa and show you how is done ;) hahah
Cheers.

The Internet Standards for web coding is found at www.w3.org

HTML specifications are now XHTML and presentation controls are in CSS (Cascading Style Sheets),
and back end webserver processing of forms is per CGI coding (which is not done using a GUI tool).

and that's why GUI tools are so popular.

If you intend to get serious with web programming, you will be better off starting
with writing ever line of the page.

Back