Building computer and need help choosing a motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fayt

I dont know a lot about computers so my friend is helping me build one. I just wanted to know what motherboard I should choose. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking in the range of $200-$300.

Sorry, but you need to give much more information, like what type of cpu you want, amd or intel. What socket type? Intel can be socket 478 or 775(aka"T"). Amd can be socket A, 754, 940, or 939.

What do you want to do with this computer? Will this be just a motherboard replacement or a new sytem build?

$200-300 is a lot of money, many motherboards are about $100(usd) or less, with the performance boards reaching $200+. With $300 you can get a decent cpu and a motherboard.(like an amd 939 athlon 64 3000+ is about $150, and a 939 motherboard based on nforce 4 ultra would be about $85-150).

you can pick up a decent AMD sempron box for around $250 (USD) these days, if you were looking to spend 200-300 on the whole box. it won't play HL2 or farcry, but for the old HL and its mods said system would be fine.

upgrades

I am building a comp from scratch and what something that will last for a while going through upgrades so if i could I want pci express. as for amd or intel I dont know either company so I dont really have a preference. Which is why I am asking you guys. Also I dont know what the sockets are for. Could you tell me what the numbers mean for sockets. Any insight into the matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit:Ok nvm figured out what the socket was all about from my friend. So if you can recommend a good build processor and mobo I would really appreciate it thanks. Money is not too much of an issue.

Half Life 2

I basically am building a gaming computer. I want the ability to play half life 2 with the possibility of upgrading to play even better games in the future.

If you are building a gaming computer you are going to want an AMD processor. Is $300 your budget for just the motherboard or the whole computer becuause if it is for the whole computer you won't be able to buy a very nice one. If it is for just the motherboard could you tell us your overall budget so we can get you started on what parts to buy.

I dont really have any price limit but idealy I would like to end up around 2000 or 3000.

Excellent I like this build only around 1600. I think I will go with it thanks C_Conqueror. Cant wait to build my first comp.

I'm afraid I haven't heard of them. Known brands for PSUs are Antec, Enermax, Thermaltake, Zalman, Tagan (at least for me).

PC Configuration:
Processor:AMD Athlon 64 ADA3000DAA4BP (Model Number: 3000+; Frequency (MHz): 1800; L2 Cache Size: 512KB; Socket: Socket 939; Stepping: E3; Manufacturing Tech (CMOS): 90nm SOI; Wattage (W): 67; System Bus (MHz): 2000; Core Voltage: 1.35-1.4v)
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-E
Graphics Card: ATI RADEON X300 SE (GV-RX30S128D)
RAM: Simmtronics 512 MB DDR Double Bank
PSU: Colorsit (450 W with double fan)
DVD ROM: 1 LG
CD Writer: 1 LG
Floppy Drive: 1 Samsung
HDD: 1 Hitachi SATA 80 GB

I have a similar request for info but...

I also am going to build a computer but I definaetly do not have the kind of $$ that the original poster has to spend. What happend to me was lightening hit near my house and among thousands of dollars of other damage, my computer got whacked too. it works but it looks like none of the PCIs work anymore, the onboard ethernet isnt working, the fan isnt working and some but not all of the USB's are dead. I originally was going to find a replacement MOBO and go from there but really, I have no way of knowing if any other problems are going to pop up with the processor, so I have decided to go with basically building a system but keeping my HD and RAM. (RAM is 512 DDR SDRAM 266mhz pc2100 and HD is 80Gig, but i cant find any mor info on that just yet)
I have read endless reviews and descriptions but it seems like they are all written by somebody trying to sell me something so of course, every one is made out to be the best scince sliced bread. so I am hoping that all y'all could give me some advice on what to get. I am not really a gamer but I do use CAD/CAM and multimedia software heavily so am I correct in assuming that AMD is the best processor for this type of work? What I am looking for at the moment is a mobo/processor bundle and Ive been looking on newegg and tigerdirect and there are soooo many choices, my price range is only $200 or less. If you could give me any help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

i think you should set aside some money for a good surge supressor before you buy another computer.

lol.... thats the thing that really bothered me about the whole thing, I had one when the strike happened (is a $45 protector considered "good"?), had it connected correctly and everything. I even powered everything off just as i always do when a storm is coming but still somehow got whackked. im unplugging everything from now on I guess. other wierd things happened also like only one of my 2 brand new garage door openers stopped workinng, yet both are plugged into the same outlet.

well, the quality of a supressor is usually tied to it's brand name...i reccoomend apc. apc and others also will insure your equipment up to a certain amount, in accordance with thier preset policy of course...

cool, ill definaetly take the supressor more seriously this time when I get it. when I bought that one, I just bought the first "wallmart special" I saw and didnt think twice about it. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back