Building my first Gaming Rig. Please take it easy on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've built computers before, nothing super fancy or anything with the help of some of my male friends.

I thought it was about time I built my first semi-decent rig.

I mostly looking for cost, I want to get the best bang for my buck. I just need something to tie me down for a few, considering this is my first time building a rig like this.

I want basically what all gamers want, I play a lot of MMPORG's and Online Games, so I need speed, I can't deal with lag or choppy video card refresh rates, so I need something decent.

Right now I was looking into :

Asus K8N Deluxe Athlon 64 DDR400 Mobo - 754 pin - 120$
(cheaper then going 939pin, and I don't plan on upgrading this project)

Enermax PSU 370w - 50$

I don't know what kind of CPU yet, not very familiar with them, so that will be my first question, of course it will be a 754 pin.
I know I was kinda leaning towards the -

Athlon 64 3000 Barton its 462 pins. Will it fit on a 754 pin board? Also how good is the proc? any better priced ones or speed let me know.

Any help will be oblidged.

Next, I heard that since I'm going Asus Mobo I need to stick with Corsair RAM, and of course a dual pack of it to take use of the DDR function. If this is true or not again any help would be appreciated.

Next is the video card, again I play MMPORGS and Online games I also tend to do some Graphics and the works so I need something decent, yet powerful.

Now cooling I heard that for the CPU Thermaltake Fan's do pretty good is this true?

Also for a case? Should I go Aluminum? or What? Big Tower small Tower? mainly for Cooling.

Harddrive also is a good question, but I don't really want to ask any now, I need to continue reading and researching them, but if you can what are some of the MAIN things I should look for in a HD.

Thanks for all the help.

Hi,
Welcome to TechSpot, I am sure you will find this a great place.
I am a member of several other forums similar to TechSpot and I am a "Newbie" here.
You will find that building your own machine will be very rewarding, there is nothing like building your own. It will out perform any store bought system in every way.
(In my personal opinion) your selection of an Asus mobo is a good one. I have been using Asus mobo's for years. I am sure there are other fine mobo's too but for the price for a K8N that is pretty good.
Check out www.newegg.com for some good prices. **They have the K8N for $87.00 !! http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1 :hotbounce
The supported CPU for the K8N is : AMD Athlon 64 / Sempron Processor
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
I do not know what your budget is so just click on the link, AMD processors "ARE" good, I have used them for years.
Check out the ATI graphic cards... I do not know if you want to go AGP or PCI Express... PCI Express is the newest arrival. *It all depends on what you want to spend.
The "Corsair" RAM is a good choice. The RAM does not need to be specifically "Corsair".
I am running an Intel P4 3.0Ghz. with 2X512 DDR =1024 (Kingston) with "NO" problems at all. Mobo is an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.
Thermaltake do the trick when heat is a problem or concern. You will not need a Thermaltake... Stock CPU Cooling fan will keep things A.O.K. !!
Get yourself a Mid-Tower, Just make sure it has a300 ~350 watt power supply. Pick up a few 80 mm exhaust fans, there only around $10.00 each.
Hard Drives: Get a brand name Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate etc.
7,200 R.P.M. Put it all together and you will have a nice "Smokin'" system :hotouch: Good Luck with your project.
Rick M.

I assume your budget is pretty low, barely enough to make it to s754:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo_Platinum&class=mb

mobo - K8N Neo Platinum

cpu - AMD64 3000+ s754

"Athlon 64 3000 Barton its 462 pins. Will it fit on a 754 pin board?" - No, if you prefer 32-bit, Sempron 3000+ s754 is 32-bit and can be overclocked a bit.

"I heard that for the CPU Thermaltake Fan's do pretty good is this true?" - For first-timers, perhaps. I have one. I don't like it. I'd pick a Thermalright SP-9x or 1xx, or Zalman 7xxx.

Still, we'd need to know your budget.

fishhookz said:
Still, we'd need to know your budget.

Exactly. It doesn't make sense to ask advice on what to buy when we don't even know how much you can spend. ...

Details mate.

-Kitaro

No one here should ever have to worry about posting a newbie question and have to say "Please take it easy on me..."

We were all beginners once, I remember well being at your stage and wanting to know more. I would not dream of laughing at anyone here who asked good questions and I would be annoyed at anyone who did.

Right now, there are many things that I want to know, and am a beginner in as well. I hope that when I ask question of people, they will treat me well. That's why I (and many others here) try to foster a culture of openness. We don't laugh at Lamerz here. We merely reject weirdos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back