Building my own maching

Status
Not open for further replies.

TastyKellogg

Hello People
New member here.
I need some help.
I'm building a computer myself, my first try but people told me it ain't that hard as long as I follow the guideline and have all the right materials ready(globes, static bags, etc).
Anyways, my budget is around $3000. It could be about $500 more but not less because I'll use it until I finish school and I have 2 years left.
This PC is solely for designing, maya, and other 3d apps and I'll also play some games on it as well.
My choice for CPU is Intel. What's Xeon like? If Xeon isn't that superior to Intel D chips, then I'll go with D chips.
I looked at some motherboards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131564
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131589
Is second one SLI ready as well?

Which is better?
I did A LOT of research on video cards so I know what i'm going to get.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143063
I'm also concerned if this card can go fit into either mobo cuz they say it's a big card.

I just need some help with CPU and mobo. WHat exactly is Dual Core and Hyper Threading?

I'm sorry this is rather long. Sorry, help a noob for once please.
Have a good one people!

Dual Core is like having two proccesors in one..two Cores..
HyperThreading is just like Dual core...but it's only virtual,intel "fooling" windows pretending it has another Core(30%max performance increase).
If you like to design you should go with intel a dual core or Dual cpu Xeon.
2 video cards SLi/CrossFire for faster rendering be sure their using GDDR3 memories and high core/memory frequency.
And remember that the nVidia 7950X2 card has 1 Gb but only 512 usable because of smth about the card doing the same operations twice so each memory has to get the same info(at least it's what i remember).
you can still get 2 7950X2 Cards :p.
Oh and that's a really good mobo stick with it.

Oh..and Welcome To TechSpot..enjoy!

Hey Thanks
Umm...I was also wondering if it was worth to buy from reknowned companies like Boxx, Velocity Micro. I'm kinda nervous to build my first one. What if I burn the mobo??? It'll be heartbreaking heh. Is it really that easy to build it?
Well again thanks for the reply.

if you're unsure about your ability, it may be a better idea to buy a pre-made PC. You can get a very high end machine with that budget. I would imagine there's someone in your school who has experience building PC's.

CPU power and amount of RAM will help a lot. Motherboards that support dual CPU's are going to be much more expensive then a motherboard that supports dual core.

Don't go with dual 7950's. Quad SLI is no where near ready.

I know this is completely off the subject of this thread, but "tastykellogg". Can you please elaborate on the meaning of this name?

Thanks
So are you saying don't get 7950 yet? I wanted this machine to be futire-proof so I wanted to get the best I can get. Let me know if there's any better option for me. I'll talk to few friends of mine to help me build or I'll just get pre-made.

halo71
Umm...tasty cereal makes more sense? :D

^^ No, it's not in a hurry. I get the dough in about 2 weeks or so and I can wait another two weeks for sure. THe thing is if they just come out, won't they be expensive? I'll have to check it out tho.
THanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Yeah that makes more sense! i was just wondering is all....I work for the Kellogg/Keebler Corporation.

If you wait for the end of July the next CPU series from Intel is coming as well as AMD and Intel price cuts. You could look into an AMD CPU also.

It's better to wait in about 5-6 weeks to build a system.

TastyKellogg said:
Wow!
U get to taste every cereal?
Good for you! Kellogg feeds every Kids in US!

Nope..I just get to fix everyone of their RFT's, laser scanners, thermal printers etc.....Besides....I buy POST products! lol

Well at least you rep. Kellogg that's good. I grew up eating Kellogg every day lol
Anyways, back to topic, my friends say AMD is much better than intel.
Now i'm really lost and confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back