Building my own PC, What kind of motherboard??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I'm 13 years old, but have been learning about computers since I was about 4, when I destroyed my parents's Windows 3.1 by deleting the Program Files. I plan to get a job and make a little money, and since I don't wanna wreck another computer, I've decided to build my own.

I know lots about all the components I need, like the case, graphics, soundcard, Harddrive, and all the fun stuff. One thing that confuses me a bit is what kind of motherboard is a good motherboard?

I would like a lot of room for expansion as I get more money, because I'd like to slowly add extras to the computer after it's built.

Does anyone have any experience with motherboards? What to get, what not to get... Any suggested brandnames?

I would basically like a little expansion room, definitely ATX Form Factor, and it to be fairly affordable.

THANKS!

I have a asrock p4s61 but I don't suggest it but if money is an problem then you might have to get a cheap one :unch:

I would recomend a Asus board but that is just me. You mentioned that you want room to grow so i would make sure that you get things like SATA, and PCI-E no matter what brand you get.

Sean

get ahold of an AT based system, should cost you almost nothing and you will learn more about computers than building a modern system would ever teach you if you did it a thousand times.

First, I want to say that it's pretty cool for someone 13 to be building their own system..(don't be afraid to use help !!) Ive found a lot of helpful people here at TechSpot.
Im over twice that age, and am just now building my first PC.

As for brand names, many people say 'Asus' is among the best. They make boards as inexpensive as $50 dollars.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=22&DEPA=1

Also, from what Ive been learning here, NewEgg.com is among the best place to buy from (if you plan to buy online). The prices are low, and they have more variety of computer parts than almost any local store (BestBuy, CompUSA etc..).

Hope that helps...

i would also recommend an Asus mobo for a first timer such as yourself. they have many boards for econo-models to performance models to suit everyones need. maybe one day you'll get good enough to go out and try an Abit board for tweaking.

Go with an Intel brand motherboard or one that has Intel chipsets on it.

Hello,

I have been building my own computers or rather evolving them as I could afford various components for at least 10 years now. (Faster CPUs, more RAM, etc.)In my experience I would suggest going with an Intel brand motherboard, or a reputable brand like Tyan or Asus that has Intel chipset controllers on it. They are sometimes a little more $$$, but they hold-up for the long run in durability/longevity.

My first best system I had ever built was in 1996/97 with a Tyan brand Tomcat3 board with an Intel 430HX chipset on it. After maxing it out to its full potential (Pentium 1 200MMX), it lasted me until spring of last year(2004) when I decided to part it out, and start building a new system. I always re-use what components I can from my prior system in the new machine I build. This cuts down on the cost of not having buy everything new for it.

Good Luck building your new machine. Go Intel! You'll have a good machine.

Sttomcat3

i agree with the choice of intel.

ps my tyan tomcat 4 still runs redhat 7 well, and it's taken a lot of abuse

I'm not convinced an Intel based system is going to last any longer. Chances are anyway long before any parts (other than maybe a hd) wear out its going to be so incredibly slow for the current OS and software that its not going to matter because he'll have a newer system and this one will either be scrapped or just kept running for something less critical.

For the record. I have a K6/2 400Mhz machine with a Soyo motherboard that is still running Windows98 like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back