Building new machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigp07

Hey... I'm choosing all the parts for my new computer, and I think i know enough to put one together, but I would still like to make sure it'll work. I won't buy it for a few months but I'm saving up and I want to make sure all of these components will work in harmony... If you see any problems please post. Also what would be a good case for less than $100 with a good enough PSU.

Socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Gigabyte nVidia nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 160 Gig. 7200RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard drive
Chaintech GeForce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI-Express
Corsair 2x512 MB 184-pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered dual-channel memory
Windows XP Home

p.s. how do you think this system will do with games like BF2, Farcry,HL 2
just wondering... what is the difference between unbuffered and registered system memory.
thanks

Looks good but I have two suggestions:

1. Don't skimp on the PSU. Get a separate PSU and case, even if you have to save up a little longer. Poor PSU's have been the downfall of more good systems than anything else, especially with an SLI board which presumes you will be getting a second video card down the road. With an SLI rig I recommend a 500watt PSU with dual 12v rails and a minimum of 38 amps on the 12v side. Might cost $90-$110 but it will be the best money you spend and is relatively cheap when compared to the rest of the stuff you are buying. Please follow this advice and save us all 50 posts requesting help with BSODs, stuttering, CTD's, Game Wont Play!!! etc. etc. etc.

2. If possible, get a 6800GT. It will play those games with a lot more finesse and you can O/C it to ultra speeds. The price on these cards is dropping rapidly and should be within your budget soon but if you can't then the 6600 GT is a fine card too and don't forget about the vanilla 6800's.

That's it. Good luck with your build and have fun.

Thank you very much on the advice about the PSU. I was going to get a 350 watt PSU which comes with the case but you're absolutely right about getting the 500 watt. I was also wondering if it is possible to have 2 different cards with the SLI, i.e. a 6600GT paired with a 6800 GT. Thanks... that post was very helpful.

I see. Thats alright i think if i go with a 6600GT and then get a second one i'll be ok. I'll think about the 6800gt though. Thanks

errmm...new here....may i noe if two graphic cards r on the board...how does the video work??coz i oni heard of one video card onboard...n not two...wat will it do???sorry...i doesnt noe much abt computers....

SLI (Scaleable Link Interface) lets you have 2 PCI-Express cards on your motherboard. Pretty much it lets you have twice the goodness. Someone else will have to post on the technical stuff because i'm no genius either.
If your board has 2 PCI-Express ports is it necessarily SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back