Built a new pc using old hard drives need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkashes_3

i bought a new motherboard powersupply cpu and ram / vid card ,
I'm trying to use my same harddrives so i dont have to reinstall everything, when i boot up it gives me an option to go into setup for bios ive done that it recoginizes my old hard drives so i restart the pc, and just let it try to boot up but it dosent seem to want to boot am i missing somthing ?

ok new development, i messed with the ide cables and i think i had the master drive cable hookt up to my slave drive, i corrected it and tried to rebot. Upon reboot every thing seems normal then it gave me an error that said somthing like cmos checksum error or somthing and hit f1 to continue so i hit f1 to continue then it seems to about load windows then i get a blue screen with some message but it restarts almost instantly so i cant read what it says, upon restart it will bring me to the option to start windows in safe mode or whatever start windows normally neither seem to work and come up with the same blue screen that flashes. any help or suggestions would be great !!!

If you got a completly different type of motherboard then what you had originally, and you did not do a fresh install of windows, it won't boot up. Your new motherboard has different drivers than your old one so it won't work. You need to get a new copy of windows and do a completly new install. If you get a new hard drive you should be able to get some of your info off your older drives.

win XP, 2003 or Vista is not like win 95, 98 or ME. OS supporting NTFS file system do require a fresh OS install, back up ur stuff in some other source and the do a fresh OS install to be on the safest side or u can back up ur stuff in the D drive of the same drive (unless u had a partition) and format c drive and do a new installation of windows. If u do not format and overwrite windows, thats too possible, but some times eventually it has some problems, good luck

how would I go about, finding out if I can doa repair to fix the problem, other then the obvious put in the windows disk and try the repair option when it brings me to a dos like screen what should i do from there ?

you must do a clean install of windows when installing a new motherboard or changing computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back