Built New PC But Monitor Ain't Switching on HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before it start heres the Basic specs of it

Epox - EP-8k9AI motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 1800
Maxtor 80 GB HD
350W PSU
512mb DDR pc2700 RAM

And a Questionable - Link 3D Geforce FX 5200 128mb AGP TV Graphics card.

My problem is that monitor won't come out of stand by on booting
, everything else seems to be working, the harddrive processor and graphics fans all power on which sounds normal. but another is that all the keyboard lights all up and stay on when trying to boot aswell and if u turn it off from the front switch they're still lit (HUM) but my main concern is why the monitor ain't switching on.
i think now it may be a compatability issue with the graphics card but am no expert thats why i need a push in the right direction.

Am thinking the graphics card i have ain't the right type for my board. I've typed the specs of the board and graphics below.
Am i little confused about AGP slots. and my board dosen't have on board graphics so thats a bugger.

Board Supports
AGP 3.0 interface with 8X 4X 2X @ 1.5v only
Supports Maximum bandwidth of 2.1GB/s

Geforce FX 5200

Back of the Box States Minimum System Requirments:

IBM PC or IBM Comaptible System
Intel pentium 2/3/4
AMD K6/K7 CPU or higher
Availible AGP 2.0 or 3.0 slot
SVGA Monitor

Heres pics of the Board and G/Card

EP-8K9AI-big.jpg

5200%20fx.jpg

So do you think thid is my my problem. Thanks in advance for any help that forcomes.

Kevin.

Hi kev, the first approach would be to check all your connections, and reseat all your cards and memory. Also, check in your BIOS, and see if you have your graphics card set at 128MB, if it is, try backing it off to 64MB, and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, then you might try resetting your CMOS, and see if it will run on the default settings.

Have you tried running your system outside the case? I would check, to be sure, that the MOBO is not shorting out on any standoffs, it is a hassle, but when building your own system, it saves you a lot of headaches. Here is the advice that I give to those who ask me about building their own system:

To start with, here are a few tips that may help you in your endeavor. First, if you don’t have a ground strap, then you will need to discharge, any static charge that you hold, by touching the computer case, or any metal object. Before handling any static sensitive objects CPU, memory sticks (dims), motherboard, and expansion cards, be sure to discharge yourself first.

• If you are building your own computer, first try and put it together outside the case, this has a couple advantages, the first being saving your sanity. You want to start with the bare minimum, that being the motherboard, CPU, and the power supply. You may need a front panel speaker, if there isn’t a beeper, on the motherboard, and also the on/off switch, from the computer case, plugged into the motherboard’s front panel terminals. Now, when you turn the computer on, you should see all your fans spinning and hear a bunch of beeps, so you now know that the motherboard, power supply, and the CPU all work.
• Now, this is very important, before going any further, unplug the power cord, from the power supply. Be sure to discharge your static, and now, install one stick of memory, I know, you want to put them all in, but only one stick, for now. Plug the power cord back in, and turn it on, you should hear a series of beeps (1 long 3 short), as the computer searches for the video card. Ok, turn it off, and unplug the power cord again, from the power supply
• Now, discharge yourself and inset your video card, then connect your monitor to the video card. Plug the power cord back in and turn it on. You should get the Power On Self Test (POST) one beep. Then, you should get a display, on your monitor screen, showing your basic boot screen, and a boot disk error, because you don’t have any drives installed. Up to now, if you have the monitor display, and the disk error, your system is sweet.
• Now, start putting these components, in the computer case, but first, be sure to look at the number, and the placement of the standoffs. Make sure you don’t have more standoffs than you need, and they all will line up with the mounting holes, on your motherboard. Sometimes, a standoff will be slightly leaning too far to one side, and may have a tendency to short out a circuit on the motherboard. In the case of the misaligned standoff, maybe try persuading it over in the correct direction with a needle nose pliers, or use a small piece of electrical tape around that mounting hole, on the motherboard.
• Once you have these components installed, in the case, and have your boot display, on the monitor, along with the disk error, then you know you have a good start.
• Now, install the drives, partition, and format your hard drives, setup the BIOS, install the operating system, and add the remaining hardware and drivers. Now. go take your computer for a spin around the block.

Well, I hope this helps, good luck!

Hi thanks for the detailed reply but i've tried all u said and still no change

am not getting any bleeps at all when powering the system on

am begining to lose patiance with this as am getting nowhere

any other thoughts?

Are all your components brand new? What size is your power supply, and is it new? Have you tried other known good memory?

all parts are new

Except Processor which it used but tested and works

The PSU is 350W

My memory is Elixir 512mb DDR 333MHz CL2.5 PC2700

You do have the 4 pin molex connector, from the power supply, plugged in? Do you have another video crad that your could use to check? When you set it up outside the box, with the minimum (motherboard, CPU, and the power supply), did you get a POST beep?

Hi this is really puzzeling now it tryed my brothers Nvidia geforce 5200 graphics card ,His PSU(225w) didn't even turn it on , His Athlon 2100 CPU and Monitor and His 512mb DDR and still does the same. So Today I Bought a 550W PSU and again no change the monitor will still not kick in.
So If I'm right it all narrows down to the Motherboard or is the any other possiblity that it could be something else causing it.
Though just after i put my brothers CPU in mine to test it then took it back out and back into his, his CPU Fried (smoked) :eek:

I don't have the 4 pin connector on my board
I've tried it with minimum parts connected
No system bleeps What ever i do.

GOT TO BE THE BOARD

probably is the motherboard then. Are there any beeps when it starts up? If there are no beeps at all then it is probably the motherboard as it isnt doing the POST test - seeing as you have already tryed alternative p/supply and video card etc, this is the most likely problem.

Try This, are the risers for the motherboard in or in the right places because otherwise it could short out the board. It happened to me but luckily i didnt have to replace it :blush: . in case you didnt know they are little Gold things that screw into the Case then you put your motherboard ontop of them and screw it in place.BTW sorry about huge pic couldnt find anything smaller.

assembly_motherboard_supports.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back