burn british encoded dvd to U.S.?

By Row1
Sep 9, 2006
  1. Hi!
    I found an old British TV show on DVD, from Amazon UK. When I went to play it, it said something about British region encoding. I am able to play on my computer it by changing Windows Media to British encoding format.

    But I want to burn it to U.S. encoding! (this is legal by fair use).

    How can I do this? Will Windows Media player do it, or do I need to get other software? -Row1
  2. Vigilante

    Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

    I've never tried it before. But I imagine you have to "rip" the DVD to your computer first, and then burn it again to a new blank disk.

    Obviously you can't just re-encode the DVD, it can't be written to anymore. And you can't make a direct copy or you're in the same boat. So you have to rip and burn.

    If you already have DVD burning software, you can use a program like DVD Shrink (http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html) to save the DVD to your computer.

    The only thing is that, when saved, and re-burned, I don't know if the country code is automatically changed, or if there is additional stuff you have to do before burning. But DVD Shrink will get it to your hard drive, in any case.

    Good luck!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...