Burn process failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Hey guys, I have been burning some dvd's (all legal in case youre wondering) using dvd shrink, but I keep getting a burn process failure. It can't be the disks because they are very good quality and have never had any problems with them before. It is not a new drive or anything, I've been burning with it before with no problems - therefore I don't think it can be the drivers. Attached is an error log.

Any help appreciated,

Regards,

Korrupt

******************UPDATE******************

Ok, so for the time being I figured I'd transfer all the video data on my portable harddrive. I copied the lot, and pasted it onto my harddrive but after it was about 80% copied, I got an error saying something about cyclic redundancy check error...

Is there a problem with my harddrive? My optical drive? DVD shrink?

Regards,

Korrupt

Are you transferring it to your external drive from your optical drive?

If so, sounds like your source optical disc is bad.

In every case I've seen of a CRC error it has been caused by the source drive, but NOT every case has been because of a bad hard drive. I'd run some tests to check for bad sectors on your external, if that is where you were copying from, that part was not clear.

It sounds like he was copying from his external to his internal HDD. But all those errors (DVD not writing and now CRC error) could be failing RAM or a dieing PSU. If the 12V rail is flucuating you might cause DVD and HDD errors, as the motors won't maintain proper RPM's.

Just a thought.

Korrupt's burn log said:
CdRomPeripheral : HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4040N atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: Off

You really need to fix this. Your optical drive should be in DMA mode.

Rick said:
According to your log, your DVD burner is not running DMA mode - this is definitely a problem and generally a software issue. Keep in mind this may not be the problem, but it needs to be fixed regardless.

For IDE burners, there are two modes: DMA (good) and PIO (bad). PIO is incredibly slow and brings your computer to a crawl, which in turn is responsible for many other problems including buffer underruns and wasted CDs. DMA is newer, faster and always supported with modern drives.

First thing you should do is enable DMA. If you can't, then we need to figure out why you cannot. If you still have problems afterward, then you can try a firmware update. Your drive appears to be a BTC dual-format burner, which should be updated using this utility: http://www.drvupdate.com/. Even if the problem goes away, its a good idea to update your firmware as it fixes bugs, improve performance & reliability etc...

A nice guide with photos - How to Enable DMA:
http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic59704.html

Thanks for your replies. What I did was this: The dvd encodes and puts the files in a temporary folder that I select (it stores it on the harddrive of my pc), then it'll start burning but fail after approx 80%. What I then decided to do was copy the files from the temporary folder on my pc to my portable so that I wouldnt have to encode it all again, what then happens is: Cyclic redundancy check error. I don't think it can be my external drive because I've been using that with no problems.

Regarding putting the drive in DMA mode, both ide channels are set to "DMA mode if available"

I'm starting to believe there is something serious here since I got an error a few days ago - Which I had never had before on this lappy. https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=342677#post342677

Could this have anything to do with it?

Regards,

Korrupt

korrupt said:
Regarding putting the drive in DMA mode, both ide channels are set to "DMA mode if available"
That doesn't mean your optical drive is in DMA mode though. According to Nero, it is not. Windows does a 'best effort' to enable DMA. If there are errors burning CDs (like you may have experienced), Windows disables DMA, even though 'DMA mode if available' is enabled. The thread I linked has instructions on how to fix this issue.

CRC errors from drive to drive transfers sounds a little weird. You should test your hard drive and memory to rule out hardware failure... But I have a feeling this is a software issue for some reason.

The source drive seems to have gone bad. This has happened to me on one occasion and it got much worse later until it finally gave me a boot failure error while booting windows. The only solution was to throw the drive away and get a new one.

For testing ur RAM, use memtest from here and burn the iso onto a CD. Boot the PC with the CD and let it run overnight.
For ur HDD, go here and follow the instructions on that page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back