Burning avi's to VCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofy Newfie

I'm not sure if this is the correct board to be posting this topic, but here goes. I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to burning video files to a disc to watch on my DVD player(which also plays VCD format, as well as mp3's). What is the software utility that is used to do this? I have a few video files that I want to watch on my player, but they are currently in avi-format. How do I convert them?

RustyZip

Have a butchers at the following website:-

www.vcdhelp.com

It goes into great detail what software to use, and gives detailed tutorials and guides to convert different formats of movies...

Hope this helps...

Goofy Newfie

vcd help

Thanks for the reply. I am checking it out now, and so far it looks like it will be very helpful. I'll post back here to let you know my results.
;)

MrGaribaldi

Re: vcd help

Alternately, use Nero 5.5 and the SVCD plugin...

It'll convert most formats to SVCD and burn...

IMO it's the easiest way to do it...
But you might get a wee better result by doing it with specialized programs... And it'll be cheaper since you won't have to buy Nero...

.02$

Goofy Newfie

While the process is quite slow, I have used TMPGENC to convert both avi's and asf's with good results. I have Nero 5.0 and it worked pretty well. I am not familiar with SVCD plug-ins for Nero; could you elaborate for me a little? Thanks for the info.:)

MrGaribaldi

To take it straight from the horses mouth:

from Nero.com

Are you tired of watching your .mpg, .avi, .mov (Quicktime 5 not yet supported), .asf or .wmv video files on your PC? With the Nero MPEG-2/SVCD encoder you can burn video files to SVCD and watch them on all SVCD compatible DVD players.

To read the rest, check here...

It costs 16$ which isn't what I'd call very expensive...

Though this bit puzzles me...
If you want to create DVD compatible MPEG-files, you will need the MPEG-2/DVD Plug-in and NeroVision Express. You won't be able to do this with the MPEG-2/SVCD Plug-in.

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
Yes Mr.G - I bought the plugin with the newest version of Nero - you can't create a VCD or SVCD on a DVD using this plugin - you'll have to create a CVD (easiest with DVD2SVCD) to do so.

LNCPapa

RustyZip

I've had a lot of problems with Nero decoding to a VCD format (PAL) , even with the plug-in.. Either the result is colour ok but no sound, or black & white with sound.....same happened in TMPGenc...

Confuses me... after trashing the house in anger i gave up on the whole subject:blackeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.