Burning DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top_gun

i have a friend who believes that if he buys a dvdr or dvdrw, he can just rent a dvd movie (ex// the matrix), burn it, then give it back, thus owning a dvd movie at the fraction of the cost (or borrowing someone else's movie, buring it and giving it back). I dont believe it is possibe. Is he rite or Im rite?

Firstly, what you are describing IS piracy, IS copyright infringement, and IS illegal.

And even if your friend gets a DVD writer, there is still CSS encryption on the DVD. This means that, for example, if he was to copy the files from the DVD onto his hard drive and then try to play it, it would not work very well at all, because 1/4 of the content he had copied to his HDD would be gibberish.

If he wanted to copy DVDs, he would need a piece of software which strips the CSS encryption from the files as they are written to the hard drive before he burned them to a DVD. I believe that such software, although available here and there perhaps, is also illegal now.

There is software around to rip DVDs to Divx files to burn to CDs.

Lastly, I don't believe that this "friend" of yours exists, and that in fact you are talking about yourself. So why not come clean about that??

But if your question is, is this possible? Yes. It is. If you strip the CSS encryption away whilst writing the files from the DVD to your hard drive, and then burn those to a DVD disk, yes. I have seen it done.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Lastly, I don't believe that this "friend" of yours exists, and that in fact you are talking about yourself. So why not come clean about that??

LMAO p66, i have friends that ask questions like these too...u never know maybe he and his friend are in a huge fight and a bet over this...

It wouldn't be very economical. You might as well buy the DVDs instead of actually paying for the equally expensive media.

DVD-Rs seem to be fairly cheap at the minute (i.e. £2.00 each), so it might be worth it.

As for the copyright issue - aren't you allowed to backup stuff for your own use ?

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
As for the copyright issue - aren't you allowed to backup stuff for your own use ?

Renting a DVD & burning it doesn't really qualify as Backup unless you own that Video Club.;)

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
I wanted to know if I could legally backup my own DVDs, to stop them getting scratched etc.

Technicly yes... You are allowed to make backups of your software...
But you'll be using illegal software to do it... (As it would otherwise just be gibberish due to the CSS)

Originally posted by uncleel
TechSpot does not advocate illegal activity. However you do see spam for that dvd-hacking programs. It just isn't worth it, if you get caught.

Got News? > Protecting fair-use rights in the digital world
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showt...s=&threadid=895

Got News? > My Heart will go on or off forever!
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1518

And more than just the legal aspect, is it right to do it just because you can "get away with it"?

Only DeCSS was made illegal, some other "Ripping" utilities aren't based on DeCSS, so technically they aren't illegal.

I think the issue more with DeCSS is that is decryption key was obtained through reverse engineering and decompiling; commercial software was hacked to obtain it.

There are other pieces of software that encorporate decrypting and re-encoding DVDs into DivX. Some are very good, such as EasyDivX. http://easydivx.does.it/

If you can find a copy of the orginal DeCSS right now, well done. Its more or less vanished from the internet as far as I am aware. But I know a little bird who has it ;) ;)

With this program, you merely strip the CSS encryption from the vob files. What remains is the original content unencrypted, which could then be written to a DVD by use of a DVD writer so that you would have an unencrypted version of the DVD.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
If you can find a copy of the orginal DeCSS right now, well done. Its more or less vanished from the internet as far as I am aware. But I know a little bird who has it ;) ;)
So do I. I've also compiled it for a couple of OS's.. :angel:

Burning home videos to dvd

I am able to burn very small amounts of video on my computer, but I have a home movie that is about 45 mins long and I get an error message that the disk doesn't have enough memory. The disks I am using are 2 hours. Any help?

Not connected to the earlier, interesting problems, but as a newcomer, I wondered if anyone could throw some light on my own difficulty: Lately, I've had big issues trying to burn to DVD discs, of .avi files made from my
Panasonic DV video camera, and ealier, found some answers in forum postings ("CAG" I think in particular gave very good advice which I used.) Now my probs with Sonic My DVD seem resolved; I can burn to discs playable on my standalone JVC player, but, using the newest Ashampoo Burning Studio 7, the discs can only be read/playback on the pc - not the standalone. This has me stumped and I'm not getting anywhere fast with Ashampoo customer services. I'm using Win xp pro
and used to be able to do this without this trouble...
Thanks.

Would anyone reading this have an answer? I've confirmed I have the latest version of Ashampoo 7, but have just tried again,
discs are ok for the pc but not the dvd player.

Phew! If you've read this far, thank you!

It seems strange that one programme can produce discs satisfactorily for the standalone, but not the other.

I also had big issues trying to burn to DVD + discs .avi footage from my
Panasonic DV video camera but thanks to advice picked up on the site here, my problems with Sonic My DVD seem to have been resolved; I can burn to +discs playable on my standalone JVC player, but, using the newer Ashampoo Burning Studio 7, the discs can be burned ok, but only read/played back on the pc - not the standalone machine. After a month trying various patches suggested by Ashampoo, they are now refunding me. Just wish I could get their software to do the job I want....

Noticed in Nick's reply he has SP3 for xp pro - is it generally available yet? Certainly not seen around this quarter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back