Bus speed/Frequency of RAM question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently downloaded a program from http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php to check if my ram was running at dual channel after i installed a new chip, it is. But then i saw somethng about the frequency running at 266 MHz. My first question is, is frequency and bus speed the same? And if so why is it only running at 266 MHz when the ram says on the box 667/533/400, does the speed depend on something else, say my motherboard? I currently have two PNY 1 GB PC-5300 DDR2 and two PC-4300 DDR2 512MB pieces that came with the computer.

So the one that came with my computer is probably junk? thus the PNY has to go at the same speed as it?, thank you so much

No its not for the new memory, the old memory is DDR2-533, 266x2 is 533.
His new memory is DDR2-667 333x2

1. mixing ram will always run the system at the lowest rated speed.
2. DDR memory runs at twice the speed. for example DDR400 is 200mhz x 2
3. read the installing ram guide in the guides forum.

runeknight said:
My first question is, is frequency and bus speed the same?
No.

CPUs are >> faster than any memory or bus. To compensate, there's a cache
system and at worst case, a cpu idle-wait state (ie waiting on data).

The BUS is used to move data between components, eg USB device and memory, PCI devices and memory, CPU to device.

Best choices are Fastest CPU, largest cache, and hightest BUS speed you can afford.

two mem_controllers intergrated in CPU or North Bridge,each mem_controller controls one channel
If two types of mem installed at one channel,the spped must be the lower frequency,266MHz
So,U should re-installed Ur mem,speed will boost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back