Buying a mac laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

I am looking into getting a new Mac laptop for my fiance so she can use it to do schoolwork. The only program that her school uses to do grades is something on a mac. So I want to get one for her so she can enter grades at home, a little more relaxed than sitting at school doing it.

These are some specs I have been looking at

500 MHz Processor Speed
12 GB Hard Drive
128 MB RAM
1 MB Cache
DVD-ROM Drive !!
S-VHS TV output !!
10/100 Ethernet Network Interface
56k MODEM
8MB Video Card
2 Firewire Ports
2 USB Ports

Something along these lines, but I was curious if 500 MHz was slow for a mac? I know absolutely nothing about then so I think it would be good to lean this as another OS. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I am looking into selling my current laptop and buying one of these. I will probably get it from ebay. Also what is a good price for something like the one above?

Yes something like that would work, I have been browsing on ebay and found some of these that range from 400-900 US dollars. I was wondering what a good price range for something like this was.

And yes she will only be using it for recording her students grades, and other misc. activities. Unless of course she begins to like it, then we'll add more stuff to it.

Well I put my auction for my current laptop up on ebay, I hope I get a good deal out of it. It is a KDS Valiant if anyone is interested.

That's all I'm giving you though. :D

500MHz isn't slow for a Mac, simply because it uses RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) instead of CISC, which PC's use.

Thought you might need some insight as to what clock speed you would want. I imagine 500MHz is the PC architecture equal of about 1GHz+.

Originally posted by Vehementi
I imagine 500MHz is the PC architecture equal of about 1GHz+.
I agree with that.

Modern CPUs are hybrid designs that incorporate both CISC and RISC. Here are some articles discussing that: http://www.visionengineer.com/comp/combining_risc_cisc.shtml
http://www.mackido.com/Hardware/x86RISC.html

The Motorola CPUs used in Macs are true RISC processors which is probably the reason for their higher performance from lower speed CPUs as compared to x86. Theoretically RISC is supposed to reduce cost and time-to-market. Why are new Macs so expensive then? It sounds like you've found some good deals in the used market.

Summary
• 800MHz PowerPC G4
• 1GB SDRAM - 2 SO DIMMs
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive
• AirPort Card
• Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel) + Apple DVI to ADC Adapter
• iPod - 20GB (Mac)
• .Mac (Retail Box)
• Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• AirPort Base Station
• Extra Portable Power Adapter
• Extra Battery - PowerBook
• APP for PowerBook - Enrollment Kit
• Mac OS X and Mac OS 9
• DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo

I have found all of these components for 599 USD plus shipping internationally.

Is it just me, or does this system seem too good to be true? I have been ripped off before online, and I don't want it to happen again. But if it is legit, and deemed a decent deal by everyone here, then I'll look into it seriously. It was found on a different auction site, other than the regulars, etc.

Any suggestoins are wanted, and appreciated. Thanks all.

Yes I do, but I found out that it wasn't worth it. I knew it was too good to be true. At first I didnt' want ot post a link if it was an auction I wanted to win it on my own, but now that it doesn't matter I will post link.

Link to fake auction (sorta

They won't accept anything under 1999 EURO. So I'm out of luck, just gotta watch other ones now until I find a good one, for a decent price.

They said no reserve, but there really is.

Tell me about it, I was totally ready to buy that computer for that price, then I emailed the guy and he said I couldn't have it for less than 1750 USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back