Buying a new DVD-Rom Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebulus

I'm looking at buying one of these to replace my old Samsung one that has given up on me recently. Perusing around various sites I have been unable to find many reviews or recommendations as to the best one to buy. All I find is info on DVD-Writers mainly.

I know this is a fairly inexpensive upgrade and performance probably doesnt differ that much between most drives, but could you please make some recommendations to any particular drive so I know that my money will go towards something that is of decent quality?

Money is not really an issue, but I dont want a DVD Writer. Also I would prefer Tray rather than Slot Loading.

Thanks, hope you can help some :)

me think´s you should rethink this about a DVD-RW
why not a writer? i know that´s what i´ll buy when
one of my drives will check out!

live well!

I like the Toshiba drives the current one is model 1712.

you are going to see less and less stand alone DVD rom drives as the profit margin on them is too small for the manufacturers most of them are droping the stand alone DVD roms and going with combo drives CD/CD-RW/DVD rom

I don't see why you don't like the slot drives? I think they are much better than the tray ones. I have an aopen slot drive, and I love it.

Maybe he has a couple of those mini cds. I have one that came with my little mp3 player. Would be bad news if I only had a slot drive.

I don't like slot drives. They are noisy, and they damage discs, if you don't take care inserting them. They also won't accept special shaped CDs, or mini CDs. I'll never buy another slot drive.

Almost decided...

on a Liteon 16x48 IDE Tray Loading Drive.

I gathered peoples views from various sources over the last few days and many people seem to recommend this drive. It is also cheap and apparently very efficient during on-the-fly operation.

I'm not fully decided on this yet, I am going to give it another day before I make up my mind. I have also heard that Panasonic make very reliable DVD Drives, and apparently the current drive from Plextor is a solid performer too.

My reason for not having slot loading is simply because I prefer the idea of my cd's being enclosed, and I would rather not have an open area where dust can get in to the mechanism. I have also heard that they are noisier than tray loading.

Thanks for your views so far, anyone please feel free to continue adding your preferences and views, Ide like to hear them ;)

Even though I know you said you don't want a slot load I must include that out of the 30+ drives that I own my Pioneer 106S (slot load) and my Lite-On 52x24x52 CDRW are my two favorite drives (yes, even more than my plextors now.) Just thought I should add that bit of info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back