Buying a new mobo. NEED your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaivan

Hi everyone i needed to buy a new motherboard that has pci express.
my system specs are intell p4 2.4 ghz /512/533/1.525v
120 gig hd from western digital. 2 memory sticks ,1 512 mg pc 2700 and other 256mb mb pc 2300. Please help heres some ideas i wanted to buy BUT wich one?
1st mobo
2nd mobo
3rd mobo
Im more on the cheaper side so help me out!
heres another ink to other mobos in the price range please look and help me find one. all motherboards

#2-Asus is a very respectable brand. MSI is not bad, but IMO asus is better. But feature wise they are virtually the same board.

If it were up to me, id stay away from the VIA or SiS chipest, I have had a much better expirence with intel chipsets (but they will cost more)

While MSI has less features and everything's a bit cheesier, Asus has come with some mobos that don't do what they are supposed to do and have some bugs. Take the A8R-MVP by example. You can raise the CPU voltage in the BIOS, but it's not going up after a certain voltage in reality. Also, they have reboot problems and other things like that.

akaivan said:
Hi everyone i needed to buy a new motherboard that has pci express.
my system specs are intell p4 2.4 ghz /512/533/1.525v
120 gig hd from western digital. 2 memory sticks ,1 512 mg pc 2700 and other 256mb mb pc 2300. Please help heres some ideas i wanted to buy BUT wich one?
1st mobo
2nd mobo
3rd mobo
Im more on the cheaper side so help me out!
heres another ink to other mobos in the price range please look and help me find one. all motherboards

I have never seen a socket 478 with pci-e. None of those have it. If you want pci-e you will have to get another CPU and maybe RAM too. Did I misunderstand?

ASUS P4P800-MX Socket 478 Intel 865GV Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Asus makes very good Intel boards. The 865 is a good chipset. $58, but no PCI-Express.

so witch one should i got with, and do either one of these have a pci express slot, im not sure what that is but i have a video card for it. I thaught the agp slot was the pci express slot. :suspiciou

No, these are AGP boards. PCI-E is newer, and 478 is old and never will get PCI-E. If you have a AGP get that Asus. It's better than getting a VIA Intel board.
edit
Ignore that, that mobo has only regular PCI, not even AGP. :blush:
Take you #1. With your mixed memory, the bad performance of the VIA chipset will not realy matter much.

I was thinking this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131460
But that's way over budget.

ok ill probably go with the asus, the link you gave me. But how are the graphics on there? i was going to put a 256 mb in mine but is the onboard video good? How would it look like. :dead:

akaivan said:
ok ill probably go with the asus, the link you gave me. But how are the graphics on there? i was going to put a 256 mb in mine but is the onboard video good? How would it look like. :dead:
No, Intel graphics bite. No onboard is any good realy. My Biostar Tforce6100-939 has about as good as onboard as you can get, but is VERY slow, like a 6200, lol.

thats what i thought. :dead: Is there another motherboard i can buy with an agp withought a onboard video. Can you please find me one because im not so good with computers ;)

I hope you noticed my mistake I edited. The P4P800-MX has no video card slot. I ment the P4P800-VM, but it's $82.99. At that price, if you have a video card get the P4P800-SE. It's about as good as it gets.

It should work with your memory, but two matched PC3200 sticks would be MUCH better. That would make it work dual channel. It will almost set all the BIOS setting for you, but after you learn more you can tune it to work much better.

Is that too much money?

I think the MSI PM8M-V you had picked out is your bet bet. I does have onboard video, but it also has a AGP slot.

I have had nothing but trouble with asus motherboards - and they're extremely picky about RAM. I have had two good MSI boards.

akaivan said:
ok so il probabaly go with the msi

Good choice IMO. The only computer I have with an Asus mobo in it is crashing(Asus CUV4X with P3 800MHz). I have the impression that it's slower than my QDI + Celeron 400 computer. The two latest computers I've had have MSI mobos in it and are rock stable. Maybe not the best Overclockers tho.

thats what i thought. Is there another motherboard i can buy with an agp withought a onboard video. Can you please find me one because im not so good with computers

I know you can find some with AMD 939 sockets, but dunno for Intel.

i really need a new motherboard for my intel p4, but i dont want a onboard video, those are crappy so i just will get an agp video card. Right now im using an geforce 32 mb lol .really old stuff
:dead:

I suppose you'll get an ATX motherboard so no onboard video is quite easy to find. Use Newegg's power search to find some.

Anyways, onboard video isn't really changing anything since most of these mobos have onboard video.

Not under $50. PC-Chips? puke:
A refubished one maybe. I have bought three refurbished ones there, none were free from problems. My P5P800 had a fried PS2 mouse port--I use a USB. A Asrock DualSATA2 with a bad VRM I had to return. My Biostar Tforce6100-939 seems okay, but I do wish I that bought the retail now. I don't think it's worth the hassle.

i have used both MSI and Asus motherboards, and in true stability i have found the asus to be much better. Im not trying to argue, just saying the i would not put asus in the low ended category.

I have two Asus 865P boards and they are incredibly stable and fast. Memory performance is very good. A VIA chipset should work, but a P4P800-SE is just plane as good as socket 478 gets now the P4C800 is gone. I have had four Asus boards, all very stable.

VIA should work? Sure!
Got mobos using VIA MVP3 and KT266A. They are the most stable computers that I have used.(I won't say that there are no latency problems with the MVP3)
At least, I can run a word processor without getting the computer to crash when I haven't saved for a while.
I used ATi RD482 too. Works pretty well, but I'm getting reports that game crashes while I never saw the computer have a problem. (Which have never been the case with all my Intel chipset mobos)

Is it really a company making quality mobos?

Also, NewEgg and a couple of others are distributors for them. Maybe you could ask for a special order . (If Newegg doesn't want, there are about 15 others)

Oh, and found these
Asrock P4Dual-915GL
Asrock P4Dual-880Pro
Asus P4V800D-X
Asus P4GD1

Not sure for the ASrocks, one has a PCI-X 4x slot and the other is AGI-Express... They seem not to be compatible with normal PCI-express 16x video cards so you should stay with Asus I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back