Buying a PSU for a 9800 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nthionius

Hi all, I have a computer of the following config.:

ASUS P4S533-MX (SUPPORT ONLY AGP4X) old one from 2003
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood)
RAM: Samsung 512MB (2*256MB, one 3rd party, one original)
HDD: Maxtor 80GB PATA 7200rpm
Seagate 80GB PATA 7200rpm
Optical Drives: 2* CD/DVD Writers
PSU: iCute 350W (cheap one that comes with my case)
6* 75mm Case fans, 1000rpm

The computer ran fine, until I recently (in May) purchased a 9800SE AIW, I start get crashes (BSODs, random restarts) in 3D games. Many evidences suggests that my PSU is bad, so I've decided to buy a new one.

After a sleepless night, I focused on the following PSUs

Enermax 400W Liberty ELT400AWT $550
+3.3V: 26A
+5V: 28A (+3.3V & +5V combined 150W)
+12V1:20A
+12V2:20A (+12V total 30A)
http://www.enermax.com.tw/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=7

DELTA ServerPower 460W GPS-460BA-102A P.S. $480
+3.3V: 30A
+5V: 28A (+3.3V & +5V combined 145W)
+12V1:14A
+12V2:15A (I don't know what is 12V total )
http://dgeservice.deltadg.com.cn/diy/product_660.asp

Seventeam 350W ST-350BKV Power Supply $250
+3.3V: 28A
+5V: 25A (+3.3V & +5V combined 150W)
+12V1:15A
+12V2:15A (+12V total 25A)
http://www.seventeam.com.tw/front/detail.asp?lang=eng&ID=44

My question is, will they power my system with 9800SE?
(I've checked that they all have 20+4 pin mobo connectors, Delta and Enermax even have 4+4 pin CPU power. The link for Delta is in Chinese, sorry I can't find the English version, but I copied the amperage on rails here)

Many thanks and regards

Go for the Enermax. They make good PSUs and compared to the other you showed has the most amps.

I would go for the Enermax regardless. Its has alot of positive reviews. The PSU is arguably one of the most important parts of a PC and you dont want to skimp on it.

Those prices you posted are very expensive. Where are you from and where are you buying those parts from?

IF you are in the US check THIS out. You could search under other names such as Antec another good PSU brand.

Ha, my fault. I live in Hong Kong, sorry for my mistake.
1HKD=0.128USD
thanks for your reply, the link you post is very good for checking PSUs out.

In which case, you could look around for a good PSU and the see if you can find it in Hong Kong or a site which ships there. I'll see if I can find a site that does.

Yeah, I know of several retail shops that provides these PSUs, and more such as the Enermax Liberty line. That's where my prices listed here came from. Anyway, thanks, you've been a great help.

P.S. The Liberty 400W certainly has excellent reviews, will give it a try!

Actually will the other two make it as well?
Some guy in Hong Kong said they're pretty fine for my config, DELTA and 7team are fine brands, buying the Liberty may be an overkill.
Some said they're not as good as the Liberty (of which I find the price's quite expensive and I'm afraid my mum will object)
What if they're not as good, does it mean they lead to crashes. BSOD, random reboots??
Help!

Try Antec, FSP Fortron and Thermaltake. They're all very good brands with excellent prices. And I've personally never heard of Delta or 7TEAM PSUs so they're more likely garbage ones. Avoid them at all cost.
Check this one out. I think TigerDirect ships internationally plus they are trustworthy.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1389575&CatId=1078
It's a good quality PSU from a well-known and reputed maker. I don't think u should have any problems with it. Plus it's like only US$43 which is better than the US$70 something ur paying for the Enermax there.
Garbage PSUs usually come with little or no protection from overheating or overloads. Thus they have a tendency to blow, taking out one or more components in ur system along with them. TWhich is why u should avoid skimping on the PSU.

thanks rage, will think about it. Also it it possible that a rubbish PSU work perfectly fine for the first few days (maybe 2 weeks) of use, then start causing random reboots and BSOD in 3D games?
many thanks and regards.

I've had an Enermax 350w PSU for almost 4 years .. and I have a lot of lights/leds/Fans/LCD/ HD cooler/AeroPanel/Dual DVD drives/Dual HDD ....ect have never miss a beat .

Nthionius said:
thanks rage, will think about it. Also it it possible that a rubbish PSU work perfectly fine for the first few days (maybe 2 weeks) of use, then start causing random reboots and BSOD in 3D games?
many thanks and regards.
Yes definitely possible.

Thank you guys, I think I will go for the Enermax (maybe a Liberty 500W), since it'd provide some headroom for future use on a new system.
Will return after I get one, cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back