Buying ram Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUDEBWOY

I really don't feel like opening up my system taking out ram to check it,is there any programs that i can download that tells me what ram type etc i have in my system so i can just search the net for it cause i want to max out my ram to 4 gigs only have 3 gigs right now.

RUDEBWOY

i got that program how do i set it to tell me the ram type etc i have cause usally all it shows is the amount i have.

howard_hopkinso

Run Everest and in the left hand pane, click the little + sign next to where it says Motherboard, then click SPD. That should give you details of your ram. It does on my system.

Regards Howard :)

Mirob

RUDEBWOY said:
...i want to max out my ram to 4 gigs only have 3 gigs right now.

Without a 64bit OS you will not be able to use much more than 3GB. A 32bit OS can only address 4GB and the system will use up most a one gigabyte for hardware.

RUDEBWOY

im using xp pro sp2 not not 32 bit dosent say that plus dosent matter just like to have my pc high end and drop w.e i can in it

Exonimus

SP2 means you do have 32 bit. I have 64 bit windows xp professional and there is no SP2 released for it.

So 3GB is the max you can use

Tedster

try CPU-Z.

Also read the installing ram and troubleshooting guide in the guides forum.

RUDEBWOY

MetalX

How is it possible to have dual channel with 3GB?? Isn't it only 512MB, 1024MB, 2048MB, 4096MB etc that can have dual channel??

RUDEBWOY

no clue but my system picks up 3 gigs as 2.94 gigs any way can some one show me the ram type i can buy off amazon.com for my pc thanks.

Tedster

some motherboards are MULTI-channel. the MSI K7N2 Delta 2 is one of them.
I have 1.5 gigs in my desktop in my house in TRI-channel.

as my guide says, RTFM to determine the ram your system takes or consult the manufactuer's website. Read the guide, it is very clear.

RUDEBWOY

yea im running the asus p5b and it lets me do the multi channel.any way from the screen shots i showed u of my current ram do you mind going on amazon.com and finding me a kingston type ram for my sytem 1 gig thanks..i tried looking but only finding 2x 512.

eroz

RUDEBWOY said:
yea im running the asus p5b and it lets me do the multi channel.any way from the screen shots i showed u of my current ram do you mind going on amazon.com and finding me a kingston type ram for my sytem 1 gig thanks..i tried looking but only finding 2x 512.
that might be all they have at amazon.

bradthegreat

if you live in the States, Newegg.com cannot be beat for hardware. I don't think that they ship international, tho.

RUDEBWOY

yea i did search amazon but having a little problem and i rather get it off amazon.com cause i get free gift certs to that site so ill be saving money etc.

MetalX

Even with the Amazon gift certificates, it might still be cheaper at newegg. They have really good prices.
Tedster said:
some motherboards are MULTI-channel. the MSI K7N2 Delta 2 is one of them.
I have 1.5 gigs in my desktop in my house in TRI-channel.

as my guide says, RTFM to determine the ram your system takes or consult the manufactuer's website. Read the guide, it is very clear.
So what happens if it's in Tri-channel? Is the speed multiplied by 3? So PC3200 becomes PC9600? or still PC6400?

Status
Not open for further replies.