Buying RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

transviruses

Hello all !
Im planning on adding more memory to my computer but i do not know which one i should buy; its either the Mushkin or the OCZ(<-this one has the ULN2 technology bulit in, so im not sure if my mobo supports it). Im not too sure if they are all compatible with my mobo, or just simply which one is better?

Thanks so much

Well I really don't have a clue what ULN2 is. So I would go for the Mushkin brand knowing that it will work in your PC. Really they are both great brands of memory so it really doesn't make much of a difference which one you get. It just depends on what one you want.

Thank you for your replies!
After doing some comparison between OCZ Performance 2GB and Corsair XMS 2GB i noticed that they have difference timing values. For the OCZ is 3-3-3-8 and for the Corsair is 3-4-4-8. Now i do no know what they mean and after reading the "Updating ram & troubleshooting" posted by Tedster, i still dont have an answer. Can some one tell me the meaning of those numbers?

OK you seem to be dealing with DDR1. Usually lower or tighter timings are better than higher timings. Lower timings usually produce better bandwidth and higher over clocking potential with lower latency. The big question is do you have a motherboard that will read the memory's SPD correctly and use the lower memory timings or can you change the memory timings in your motherboards BIOS? As far as the actual timings go you'll have to do more research to find out exactly what they mean and how they work because I don't know what they mean. ULN2 means Ultra Low Noise 2 and it is a marketing ploy. Many memory companies build memory DIMMS with lower noise PCBs and Mushkin is also one of them. Usually their faster more expensive memory is equipped with lower noise PCBs

you will never see the dif and if your adding ,better to match what you have or start with all matched
if under 4gb of memory stick with double rank
better to have stable memory than fast flacky

my article basically says in a nutshell, do not mix ram types.

The #s you are referring to are clock and cycle speeds of ram.

For an average computer user, you should not have to worry about it. People who overclock systems or experiment look at these #s to optimize the speed of their ram. For 99% of users it doesn't make a difference.

ok thanks for ur supports, im just gonna pick up the ocz ones from the local store and see how things work out.
i just realized that newegg does not ship to canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back