C:\windows\ssytem32\config\system error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

isaac

hey guys i started my computer the other day,and i got this registry error mesage "windows could not start be cause the following file is missing or corrupt" : c:\windows\system32\config\sytem. the system was runnig fine until that momnet,, and i did not have any hardware changes nor software,, i've been reseaching this issue and it seems that it happens to a lot of users,,.

i already tried the recovery console,, and restore it to earlier time,, and the error message went away but now right after the windows logo appears the computer reboots,,, i've tried almost everything,,, chdsk/p /r /s ,, i created another directory and deleted the one that was corrupt and copied the repair one from the recovery console ,, and i tried using another hard drive with windows xp on but for some reason i cannot get into the logon screen,,,when i have bothe hard drives on the pc it keeps rebooting after the windows logo appears.

if anyone can tell me how to resolve this problem i'll realy apreciate it,,,,
and sorry about the whole story,,

Can you boot in Safe Mode? If you can, get in and back-up your data. Also, edit boot.ini (through msconfig) and add the switch /SOS. Reboot normally after this and watch to see if your PC hangs on any important files (It will most likely).

If it does hang ... provided you have your data backed up, its a re-install of Win mate. No point trying to repair a corruption in Win I find, much better in the long run if you can back-up important data and re-install OS.

I have seen this error a number of times and that is the way I got around it. I simply don't trust Win repairs, as they make your PC usable but tend to crash again later on down the track.

no,, i cant,, i just restarted my pc and now i got the same error message ,, so it seems that it got corrupted or deleted once again,,, so if there's anything else you colud advise ,,, i will apreciate it,,,
and thanks for the previous reply...
good try.
again the error message is c;\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt,,, and ti came back again,, please any help.

i know this may sound stupid, but is ther anyway i could reistall windows xp, and keep all the data i have,,, i think i could but i'm not sure if i'm going to get the option to keep all the data if i choose to reistall windows over the old one,,..
i just never did it before,, and i was curious,, ,, this is just as a last option,,

thanks..

Unfortunately you can't just re-install Windows and expect your data to still be intact. The first thing a re-install of Windows does is format your HDD.

I use a tool called a USB 2.0 IDE Adapter in times like this. Basically I take the HDD out and USB it with my tool to another PC. Windows recognises it as an external USB HDD and allows me to copy off data. If you don't have or cannot obtain a tool such as this, try taking the HDD out of your PC, installing it on another PC (don't boot from it) and hope that Windows can recognise it as a second disk. Then copy off the necessary data, re-install it in your PC and re-install Windows OS.

Or you could try obtaining some sort of OS boot CD and try interrogating the HDD through there. Worth a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back