C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe/c erase"c

Status
Not open for further replies.
C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe/c erase"c:\docume~1\steven\locals~1\temp\acsRollback.exe"

This is something my spyware Adaware picks as an event to change my registery. It happens on reboot and I have always blocked it. there are 2 of them the second one ends in \acsRollbackRes.dll" does anybody know what these are?

Removed@nolongerhere.com

Please don't post your email adress in public forums, as robots regularly scour the web for email adresses, making it a sure way to get lots of spam.

The line you have given in your post is a command to use a cmd window to delete the acsrollback file. That file is usually from AOL, but it's location ( %userprofile%\local settings\temp ) makes it worth a little caution.

In any case, I have moved your post to the "security and the web" forum. Unless you can identify the file for sure, please follow the instructions in the sticky threads there and post a HJT log.

Thanks for the info. I wondered if it had something to do with AOL because at the same time I get a box that says AOL needs to update some files and I need to reboot. When I reboot I get the registry alert and I have always blocked it because seeing that "c erase" in the line scares me.

CMD.exe - Starts a new instance of the Windows XP command interpreter

/C Carries out the command specified by string and then terminates

It should be safe to allow that command to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back