C:\windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so basically awhile ago, my dad reformatted the computer.

However, being the technological genius that he is, he didnt overwrite D drive, which is the largest drive i have, and instead installed windows on C drive.

I haven't really cared until now, because it wasn't until recently that I started to realise that there was little space left on C drive.

I was wondering if there was some way to transfer some of the space from D drive, onto C, and if it were possible to delete the D:\WINDOWS, and anything else that is also on D, that is already on C, without anything going wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

dannythepetrock said:
However, being the technological genius that he is, he didnt overwrite D drive, which is the largest drive i have, and instead installed windows on C drive.
I'd actually recommend this. Windows should always be installed on C:\; The reasons are there's plenty of poorly written software that doesn't work properly otherwise and the Windows boot files still need to be located on C:\ as well.

I was wondering if there was some way to transfer some of the space from D drive, onto C
Absolutely - providing D:\ is a partition and not a 2nd physical disk. Programs like Acronis Partition Expert and Partition Magic can resize partitions without data loss (unless something goes wrong, of course). There's also some freeware out there that can do it, such as Ranish. There may be better software out there, as Ranish was not very intuitive and a bit dated last I checked.

and if it were possible to delete the D:\WINDOWS... without anything going wrong.
Assuming your Windows install was done on C:\ and all of your programs have been installed on C:\, there will be no issues.

and anything else that is also on D, that is already on C,
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because whatever is on D:\ should not be the same as C:\ if C:\ is your partition (or drive) with your current Windows install. I'm assuming you mean there's some of the same folders from a previous Windows install and in that case - yes. Just make sure you don't accidentally delete your old personal files that may be stored and forgotten on this partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back