Cable Modem: ASDL light blinking (Failed to connect to ISP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidsministrator

My friend uses a cable modem to connect directly to the Internet using Ethernet port.

He is using 2 network adapters. one adapter (PCI) is for his modem and the other one is for network (connected to an 8-port hub from a built-in network/ethernet port which originally on the motherboard). He doesn't want to share his internet connection with others on the same network. So, he installed a PCI adapter for his modem in order for him to connect to internet. OK, his modem is working fine with 2 adapters!

Weeks ago, he called me and asked me to fix his computer because the system is running sooo slow. OK, I went there & JUST run SpyBot - Search & Destroy. Then ok, his cpu run better/faster.

Just a week ago, he called me again that his Internet connection was not working well after I did the cleaning. Now, no connectivity at all!

I checked everything & I noticed the ASDL light on his modem is blinking simultaneously. & I noticed his TCP/IP protocol is 169.254.xx.xx which I believe is a 'failed' IP. Or should I say, the ISP refuses to assign dynamic IPs to his PC.

Am I correct?

I've tried everything. ipconfig /release & /renew but still fail.

I'm surely think this has got to do with the ISP. Only by calling/reporting to the ISP could solve this problem. Correct???

I'm not sure exactly what your frirend did.. Did he get a new internal DSL modem or did he get a new network adapter?

In case of a new modem it may just be that his ISP doesn't support it or there is something wrong with the settings.

In case of a new NIC it may be that the ISP wants to see the MAC address of the old adapter.

He didn't get a new modem neither new adapter. He didn't change anything.

It's just after I serviced his pc, then he complained to me about his internet connection. I don't quite believe him.. since I didn't change any settings of his modem the last time I do him a servicing.

The ASDL light is blinking.. that's all.

What's the best solution? Either I keep on turning on & turning off the modem or just let the cable modem supplier do all the things?

Thanx a lot RBS! Yes I do know how to configure network settings (But I got new knowledge from your attachment too. Thanx a whole lot!).

He's not using a router. He's just using one cable modem & is connected directly to his pc (by plugging the cable to his PCI ethernet adapter).

For additional info, he has 2 NIC. 1 is on-board (which he uses it for connecting to a network by a 8-port hub) and the other one is PCI adapter (which he connects his modem to).

This problem occured after I run spybot & removed all spywares on his pc. Is it possible that the removal also changed the modem settings or particular computer systems? Oh ya.. what is your opinion if I run winsock XP Fix program?

aidsministrator said:
This problem occured after I run spybot & removed all spywares on his pc. Is it possible that the removal also changed the modem settings or particular computer systems? Oh ya.. what is your opinion if I run winsock XP Fix program?

I've seen this before. But I got lucky and didn't permanently delete the files removed by the scanner. I simply restored them, and all was back to normal. Then I went through and got rid of them 1 by 1 until I figured out which one it was, and left it.

So if you permanently deleted the quarantined files, keep them around for a week or 2 to make sure that everything still runs fine. If you still have them, restore them and go from there.

The New.Net does this. You must either run the uninstall_4.60.exe (in the Program Files\New.Net) or run LSPFIX (brought on a floppy) and let it fix the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back