Cable Modem to laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm having difficulty connecting from my cable modem box to my laptop. All I do is plug the ethernet cable in to the laptop, correct? It works fine when I have it going into my desktop. When I try the laptop, it says "limited connectivity." Any ideas as to how to how i can ammend this? Thanks

Really should buy Router then let the Router do the connecting for you. Was this working prior to this problem? Are you seeing the right lights on the Cable Modem that it's connecting to the internet. You might have a box where you have to call your cable provider for them to adjust the settings to your account.

Yeah.. the ethernet cable works fine connecting to my desktop, but nothing to the laptop.

I guess I'll call the provider and ask them and get the wireless router at some point. Thanks.

Who is your ISP(internet service provider)? It's pretty rare, but in some cases certain providers require you to set a static IP when connecting to them. If a technician connected your desktop to your modem for you, he may have done this. In any case, I would [SERIOUSLY] recommend getting a Linksys or Netgear router. In which case, you'd have a built-in firewall along with a multitude of features that aren't included with a basic link.

Just tell us who your ISP is, and most likely I or someone else can tell you whether or not they use static IPs. Good luck, in any case.

Have you tried restarting the modem after connecting the laptop?

Cable providers register the MAC address of the device connected to your modem. So if you change computers, then you either have to power-cycle the modem or actually call your cable company.

Yes, I tried restarting the modem after connecting it to the laptop. I will give Comcast a call later today. Thanks for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back