Cable modem won't connect thru ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time Warner just came out on Saturday to install cable internet (Road Runner). However, he couldn't get it to connect through the ethernet, it will only get online from the USB.

The whole problem is that when I click on Repair (I have XP) it says that it cannot renew my IP address. I thought the problem might be on my end, so I bought a new NIC. No change.

Then time warner gave me a new modem, and the problem still persists.

I've already run the ipconfig /release junk, and it changed nothing.

Before I moved into this new apartment, I was using T1 cable from the old apartment, so I know my ethernet slot works as well as the cords and such.

What is going on?? I'm so confused, and I'd like my internet to go thru the ethernet so that I can get Vonage phone service.

Any help would be great! :giddy:

hi i have one sugestion, that you probibly did alredy but its worth a chack, make shore t that you have no firewalls on including the windows firewall, post back if the probiem contunios

im out of id ideas maybe someone else could help and did you gooogle your problem maybe you could find a solution on google

im sorry i cnt be of any more help

This is RoadRunner's setup: (see picture attached)
1. Coaxial cable is split outside your home. One section goes to your TV, while the other section (A) goes into the cable modem (B).
2. A different type of cable line (known as "Cat-5 Cable) (C) links the modem (B) to your computer (D). Your computer will have a 10Base T Ethernet card or a USB port for the cable to snap into (E).
3. Both the modem power supply cord (F) and your computer power supply cord (G) plug into your power strip (H) which, in turn, is plugged into your household socket.

Looks easy enough if that's what you got. Both USB and Ethernet should work.
Compare it with what you got. If different, report back.

Attachments

• diagram.gif
    diagram.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 14
Yeah, mine is exactly like that, however the ethernet part will not work. I can only connect to the net when it is thru the USB. I would like to connect thru the ethernet cable.

I've already googled stuff and done all of the things they suggested. No luck. :mad:

Hold both ends of the Cat5 cable together, same side up. If the small wires in each plug have the same colour-sequence, you have a 'straight' cable, if they differ, it's a 'cross-over' cable. Borrow the 'other' cable from what you have from a neighbour/friend and see if that helps.
Since USB works, your modem should be OK.

As an afterthought, did you UNinstall the old NIC-drivers and INstall the new ones?
Go into ADD/Remove hardware, have it show 'hidden' devices, then uninstall anything to do with your NIC(s). Then also disconnect your USB-modem connection and uninstall the USB-modem drivers.
Then reboot the PC with the Ethernet cable connected to both PC and modem (switched on) and see if it now connects.
Before you start this, make sure you have your ISP-settings written down, so you can re-connect USB if Ethernet still fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back