Call of Duty: Modern Warfare raked in over $600 million on its opening weekend

Humza

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Activision's annual release of Call of Duty has become a tradition that has translated into huge sales and truckloads of cash for nearly a decade now. This year is no different, as Infinity Ward's re-imagining of the Modern Warfare franchise set several new records for the series, including its biggest ever PC launch and recording the highest number of digital sales on the PS4 within the first days of release.

Seems like quite a lot of gamers went 'Bravo Six, going dark' with Captain Price or joined their buddies in multiplayer as Activision posted details about Call of Duty: Modern Warfare's blockbuster launch.

The $600 million opening weekend saw the latest Call of Duty overtake the previous leading entry in the series: Black Ops 3. That game managed $550 million in its opening weekend sales in 2015, while later ones like Call of Duty: World War 2 and Black Ops 4 made around $500 million during their first three days.

To highlight its entertainment impact, Modern Warfare's blockbuster launch was also noted to have doubled that of the box office opening of Joaquin Phoenix's Joker.

"Call of Duty is once again the top selling new premium game of the year, proving the enduring nature of the franchise across console, PC, mobile, and esports," said Activision-Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick.

Unlike last year's Black Ops 4 that didn't have a single-player campaign, 2019's Modern Warfare has frequently reminded players of its action-packed story line featuring the return of protagonist Captain Price. That, along with the decision to ditch loot boxes in multiplayer in favor of a 'Battle Pass' system for post-release content are likely among the reasons for this year's record-setting performance.

"Through the first three days, Modern Warfare has more total players and total hours played than any Call of Duty opening release in the last six years. More importantly, our players are having a great time playing," said Activision president, Rob Kostich. "Congratulations to Infinity Ward and all our teams involved on an incredible game and its spectacular launch. We also want to thank the community for your incredible support. The launch of Modern Warfare is only the start. There’s much more to come."

Development of this year's Call of Duty was led by Infinity Ward with Beenox, High-Moon Studios, Raven Software and Sledgehammer Games as supporting studios. The game is available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Blizzard's Battle.net launcher on PC.

Permalink to story.

Is the game any good or is it just a case of there is nothing else new out better to play at this moment?

I got Call of Duty fatigue way back in 2010, Black Ops was the last one I really bothered with. Quality had decidedly dipped by that point. To me the early games were the best, with structured campaigns that had been well crafted. My favourite is split between Call of Duty 2 and Modern Warfare.

I have dipped in and out the odd time but it just felt the same thing, churned out year after year by that point.

Is the game any good or is it just a case of there is nothing else new out better to play at this moment?

I got Call of Duty fatigue way back in 2010, Black Ops was the last one I really bothered with. Quality had decidedly dipped by that point. To me the early games were the best, with structured campaigns that had been well crafted. My favourite is split between Call of Duty 2 and Modern Warfare.

I have dipped in and out the odd time but it just felt the same thing, churned out year after year by that point.

New MW's single player is a good spiritual successor to the original MW1~3. If you enjoyed the campaign from 1~3 I think there is a pretty good chance you'll enjoy this one. Cinematic scenes are better than ever, you can tell that they put a lot of effort on this front. Multiplayer isn't perfect but they made some minor adjustments that do make some aspects better (e.g. slightly better spawning system, still not perfect though).

I think my biggest issue with the game is that there isn't a big enough contrast between the character models and the map. They made sniping a lot more difficult too. Now the lens will glare if you are scoped in, but one-shot kills are more consistent. I don't find any of the perks or lethal equipment to be overly overpowered, some, in fact, are really interested (one perk makes your screen flash yellow if an enemy is looking at you outside of your FOV).

Fundamentally it's still the same COD. A twitch shooter with bad lag compensation where you will die half the time around corners, spawn right on top of enemies, has small maps, no respawn timers, ect.

Fundamentally it's still the same COD. A twitch shooter with bad lag compensation where you will die half the time around corners, spawn right on top of enemies, has small maps, no respawn timers, ect.

It's actually not bad at all. Definitely not at the Advanced Warfare to Black Ops 4 level of fast paced. You actually have to slow down a good bit and check your corners not because of lag. Spawns aren't bad at all, and there is a timer. Even skipping killcams will not spawn you right away. Maps are actually bigger than ever. Try out the 10v10 mode and tell me they're small. Fundamentally, yes it's call of duty, but it is not like the late twitch shooters that we've gotten. It's significantly better and a great successor to CoD4 and MW2 (MW3 sucked donkey).

It's actually not bad at all. Definitely not at the Advanced Warfare to Black Ops 4 level of fast paced. You actually have to slow down a good bit and check your corners not because of lag. Spawns aren't bad at all, and there is a timer. Even skipping killcams will not spawn you right away. Maps are actually bigger than ever. Try out the 10v10 mode and tell me they're small. Fundamentally, yes it's call of duty, but it is not like the late twitch shooters that we've gotten. It's significantly better and a great successor to CoD4 and MW2 (MW3 sucked donkey).

I've watched at least 20 hours of multiplayer of the game on twitch and played the beta a fair bit myself. It has the same fundamental problems as every other COD. My brother was a COD semi-pro who's sunk way too many hours into the franchise. He's hardly touched the new game after trying the beta.

FYI increasing the map size and the player count doesn't help. You need to increase the map size without increasing player count. 10v10 maps are only about as big as COD: WaW maps.

I've watched at least 20 hours of multiplayer of the game on twitch and played the beta a fair bit myself. It has the same fundamental problems as every other COD. My brother was a COD semi-pro who's sunk way too many hours into the franchise. He's hardly touched the new game after trying the beta.

FYI increasing the map size and the player count doesn't help. You need to increase the map size without increasing player count. 10v10 maps are only about as big as COD: WaW maps.
I dream of a massive war game where soldiers not only kill each other but also obligated to participate in events throughout the match.
For example, there should be a final push where both sides brought to the field and both have to reach the other side while violently killing each other.
I dont want a tiny hunting game where you are only looking to find few enemies.
I want a game like a movie< something like pearl harbor.
But thats me, and the other players are satisfied with 20 40 or 120 player maps it seems.
All I am saying, we are reaching amazing graphical technology in games. Wee are able to bring lots of players on one map. But when it comes to gameplay and involvement in it, it is same old capture this, hold that.I guess the stuff I want requires too much thinking testing and improving to make it profitable.

I dream of a massive war game where soldiers not only kill each other but also obligated to participate in events throughout the match.
For example, there should be a final push where both sides brought to the field and both have to reach the other side while violently killing each other.
I dont want a tiny hunting game where you are only looking to find few enemies.
I want a game like a movie< something like pearl harbor.
But thats me, and the other players are satisfied with 20 40 or 120 player maps it seems.
All I am saying, we are reaching amazing graphical technology in games. Wee are able to bring lots of players on one map. But when it comes to gameplay and involvement in it, it is same old capture this, hold that.I guess the stuff I want requires too much thinking testing and improving to make it profitable.

The game you are looking for is called Battlefield :)

I got BFV a few days ago and it's pretty boss. The spawning system is pretty cool. You can't go wrong with WW2 and they added The Pacific front, so it's just the normal nazi vs usa thing. Single player so far has even showed Britain N Africa? idk what all else it has, still to new.

Back