Calling all "ToughPower" psu owners: Beep code(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugsy

I just bought a new ThermalTake ToughPower 550 watt Power Supply Unit (psu) with all the alarms and sensors.

It is barely audible, but I'm hearing this high-pitched sound that I've tracked down as coming from the psu. It sounds like... well... a bomb whisteling over and over again: wheeeeeeewwwwwwww, wheeeeeeewwwwwwww, wheeeeeeewwwwwwww. So quiet, I can barely hear it above the fans in my PC. Sometimes it goes on for fifteen minutes or more. Otherwise, the computer runs fine (I'm on it now), though I did just have to remove a bad video card that was damaged when the fan went out (overheating the PC and possibly damaging the MoBo).

Unfortunately, the "manual/pamplet" that came with the psu provides no information, and the ThermalTake website is still under construction, so I have no idea what this sound may mean.

Anyone have any clue what the warning sounds of the ToughPower indicate (power surge/spike, damaged and failing, low power?) And shouldn't any alarm be louder? The unit is barely two weeks old. Thanks.

Beep codes are handled by your mobo I believe.

edit sorry misread your post. Can't be of help there. Might wanna call tech support, it should be free.

However, ThermalTake power supplies are on the list of bad PSU's I believe, if you can, return it and get a good model(Enermax, Ultra, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back