Cambridge Analytics data still available online despite claims they destroyed it

William Gayde

Staff

Despite Facebook's claims that the data harvested by Cambridge Analytica had been deleted, it is apparently still available and circulating around the internet. Channel 4 News was easily able to obtain a portion of it which details the psychographic profiles of Colorado residents.

The cache of data that Channel 4 obtained was originally gathered by Cambridge Analytica back in 2014 as part of the now infamous personal questionnaire. It contains political information of some 136,000 Colorado residents as well as their personality, psychological profiles, and Facebook habits.

Last week, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg issued a public apology claiming that he had previously demanded that Cambridge Analytica "formally certify that they had deleted all improperly acquired data." They provided these certifications but a whistleblower came forward showing they had not done as they said. Zuckerberg then went on to say that Cambridge Analytica "claims they have already deleted the data and has agreed to a forensic audit by a firm we hired to confirm this." Considering a news agency was still easily able to obtain some of the information, it's not clear if this audit has been done at all.

Facebook has declined requests for comment from Channel 4 despite them asking every day since the original story broke. Their only response was that it was a "breach of trust" and that they are sorry. Cambridge Analytica on the other hand claims they never passed any data to external parties, that they have since deleted the data harvested from Facebook, and that they have taken steps to ensure third parties deleted it, too.

Ironically, why they would need to state that they ensured third parties deleted the data after claiming that they never shared anything in the first place.

Permalink to story.

The Channel 4 coverage has been superb with the exception of the Australian(?) presenter's pronunciation of the word 'data' - is it just for me, and maybe the majority of us in the UK, that this is beginning to grate? I appreciate that those in the US may pronounce it the same as the Australians even after we sent Patrick Stewart over to stir things up! Anyway - good job C4

Last edited:
Those data, obviously, are still worth lots of money. There are still companies who would buy these data. Why would CA be destroying their assets?

Sad to say but this one should be put before the International Court since reports now say they have been heading up so many of these campaigns around the globe.

I just can't wait for all the class actions to go public so I can sign on to the relevant ones, as that will be the only way to wake up these companys that think they own your Data, pronounce it anyway you like..microsofts new TOS ,now seems like they can do what ever they like and you no longer have any rights or recourse. as I have an MS account ,got the new TOS agreement in my email this morning.I think they have everything covered.

I find it funny that so many people blame Facebook for this. It's like giving a bank money, then having robbers trick the guards into leaving them alone with the money. After stealing the money everybody boycotts the bank even after the bank makes all attempts to go after the robbers. Umm, pretty sure the robbers are the bad ones here, not the bank. Facebook has fixed the "loopholes" and made multiple attempts to ensure the data was deleted. Surprise surprise, they were lied to about the info being deleted.

I find it funny that so many people blame Facebook for this. It's like giving a bank money, then having robbers trick the guards into leaving them alone with the money. After stealing the money everybody boycotts the bank even after the bank makes all attempts to go after the robbers. Umm, pretty sure the robbers are the bad ones here, not the bank. Facebook has fixed the "loopholes" and made multiple attempts to ensure the data was deleted. Surprise surprise, they were lied to about the info being deleted.

That's some impressive mental gymnastics there, but the Russian judge still only gave it a 7.

That's some impressive mental gymnastics there, but the Russian judge still only gave it a 7.
I think Facebook is the Guards in this, they were foolish enough to leave the robbers with the ability to steal the money and the bank in this story is the people who's data was stolen :)

It would be more like leaving the safe combination on a sticky note in plain view.

I find it amusing that "Facebook" is trying to pretend they don't do this themselves, outright and blatantly. It's Langley's project. They have done far worse data-mining than Cambridge or anyone else ever could. That's the whole reason Facebook exists.

At least that is what fakebook says about the loopholes being fixed...and people still flock to them like flies to you know what.
I find it amusing that "Facebook" is trying to pretend they don't do this themselves, outright and blatantly. It's Langley's project. They have done far worse data-mining than Cambridge or anyone else ever could. That's the whole reason Facebook exists.
(y)

Last edited:
I think Facebook is the Guards in this, they were foolish enough to leave the robbers with the ability to steal the money and the bank in this story is the people who's data was stolen :)

Ummmm... no. I think FaceBook is a thief that got robbed by another thief. The types and amounts of data FaceBook collected and stored about its users far exceeds what most people thought they had given FB the rights to. FB's user security/privacy policies seemed to me to be intentionally vague and misleading to the extent that most users did not have a clear idea of what was going on and thus did not provide a legitimate informed consent to the collection and sale of their personal data. Thus FB's data collection was a kind of theft. The user adjustable settings to protect their privacy were similarly vague and misleading.

It would be more like leaving the safe combination on a sticky note in plain view.
at most, that means facebook was careless, but it doesn't make them the bad guys. Especially if they realize it after and make sure it doesn't happen again, which they did.

Let's not forget... Facebook itself strives on sharing data for targeted advertising for it's revenues.

at most, that means facebook was careless, but it doesn't make them the bad guys. Especially if they realize it after and make sure it doesn't happen again, which they did.

careless is just a nice word for negligent as in criminal negligence.

Then lets point some hate at every single company hacked in the last... forever? You could argue negligence.

Why not? If they were negligent with the data there should be a legit probe into their misuse of data. For several years now people have known how important data security is and if they cut corners on information security they should be held accountable. This isn't the frontier anymore.

Why not? If they were negligent with the data there should be a legit probe into their misuse of data. For several years now people have known how important data security is and if they cut corners on information security they should be held accountable. This isn't the frontier anymore.
Because being in IT, I can tell you there is no 100% secure fix for anything connected to the internet. If somebody wants access bad enough, they will find a way. You cannot blame victims unless they left a clear and simple way in.

Leaving your car with the keys inside and having it get stolen is your fault. Leaving your car with bulletproof glass and having somebody find a way to steal it is not your fault.

Because being in IT, I can tell you there is no 100% secure fix for anything connected to the internet. If somebody wants access bad enough, they will find a way. You cannot blame victims unless they left a clear and simple way in.

Leaving your car with the keys inside and having it get stolen is your fault. Leaving your car with bulletproof glass and having somebody find a way to steal it is not your fault.

I work in IT as well. There is absolutely no way to secure anything 100%. That is why determining negligence is the keyword here. If I leave the server room unsecured that is negligence or if I allow data access to untrustworthy sources that is negligence. If my security is good otherwise and through some sort of unknown or new exploit is able to gain access to some information that isn't necessarily negligence.

Back