Camcorder to PC

By delieu
Feb 17, 2005
  1. I would like to Know if I can transfer my `Sony Hi8' camcorder tapes :knock: ,to my PC
  2. The Best Alias

    The Best Alias TS Rookie Posts: 113

    Yes you can. If it's an older camera, you'll need some sort of capture interface hardware. go to new egg or whatever you flavorite hardware place is and search "usb video capture". I suggest NOT buying the cheapest thang they have. Plextor does make a good USB device. I suggest a USB device so you don't have to open your machine up. The next step up would be to install a video capture card. This is better but you need to be comfortable opening up your PC and upgrading hardware.

    Some of the later Sony cameras actually record digitally on Hi8 tape. You can determine this by if your camera has a firewire jack on it. If it does, disregard what I wrote above and get a IEEE1394 firewire card if you don't already have one. This is the modern way to do it.

    Ulead makes some good through great video software. You need a fast machine with at least 1G of RAM or you're gonna get frustrated real quick. Be prepared to burn through disk space because video files are huge!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...