Can´t Install Fedora 4 on MSI 915P Combo Fr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

I've just upgraded to MSI915P Combo and Intel P4 P550 but I can´t install linux on this machine, the kernel hungs up and the computer stops responding. On the other hand, Windows XP runs OK. Does any one knows if there is an incompatibility problem with this motherboard/chipset and Linux? I´m trying Fedora Core 4.

Here is the screen text I was able to see:

"do_initcalls+0x4d/0xb0
init+0x0/0xf0
kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0x14
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
panic+0x3b/0x1b0
do_exit+0x482/0x4d0
die+0x201/0x270
do_page_fault+0x1ce/0x5c6
scrup+0xbc/0xd0
set_cursor+0x52/0x70
vt_console_print+0x1b2/0290
do_page_fault+0x0/0x5cb
error_code+0x4f/0x60
pci_bios_find_device+0x1e/0x40
pcibios_init+0x5d/0x70
do_initcalls+0x4d/0xb0
init+0x0/0xf0
init+0x1d/0xf0
kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0x14"
The computer stops responding at this point.

Since I´m new in linux, I really don´t understand these messages.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Joao

MSI 915P Combo Fr (with Intel 915)
Pentium 4 550 3.4 GHz
ATI Radeon X600 128 MB
HDD SATA 160 GB Samsung
HDD IDE 120 GB Samsung
HDD IDE 8 GB Samsung
512 MB DDR2
CD Recorder SW 252B Samsung
DVD Player SD 612S Samsung
Latest BIOS version (1.6)

As the Fedora installation guide says, try running the install with acpi=off ("linux acpi=off"). You can try with noprobe and noapic switches too.

Oh, you might have to turn ACPI off in the BIOS for the duration of the install. (If you can turn it off, that is.)

I turned acpi off in the bios but it didn´t work also. Do you think it may be something related with the bios itself? I downloaded the latest version for this motheboard.

Joao

Its more likely to be a bug with the kernel and your mobo chipset. What happens if you try another Linux or Fedora Core 3?

I´ve started whith Fedora 3 in the first place and it gave the error I described, so I downloaded Fedora 4 to give a try. I also tried a Portuguese version of Linux "Caixa Magica" (www.caixamagica.pt and the result is the same.
The chip I have is Intel 915P, the website of Intel gives Linux drives for Intel 915G, but I didn´t find any information specific for 915P. Do you know if this chipset supports Linux?

Joao

Didn´t work either.
I did as you said, and a second time also with acpi=off noprobe and noapic, turning off acpi in the BIOS.
In the link you gave, someone says that this happens only in Fedora 4, not in Fedora 3. It is not my case, in my system it happens with all the Linux versions I tried.
I will subscribe also in that forum and post this problem.

Joao

Can't install Fedora core 4 on my intel SE7210TP1-e server

Hi there,
i am having the exact same problem and have tried all the above solutions without any luck.

has anyone found a solution yet?

Tumi
South Africa

Graphics Card

I suppose that my problem is incompatibility between the kernel and the graphics card. I have an ATI Radeon X600 and was able to install Suse 9.3 with the option at boot "pci=nosort text". I runned in text mode and downloaded drivers specific to Suse and the ATI card. I installed it and got graphics mode.
After that, I tried the distro Debian sarge 3.1 and no option at boot was needed, but didn´t have graphics mode either. I had to reconfigure Xfree with the drive "vesa" for the card.
Now I have Linux running.
What is your harware configuration?
João

mediacheck works to install core 4

hi there, i tried mediacheck then linux mediacheck

My intel server is now installing

Thank you

Dear Mictlantecuhtli:

I tried the mediacheck and linux mediacheck. I have finished Fedora core 4 installation.

It was very helpful for me. Thank you for your information. :blush:

Problem Solved

I also can run the installation for Fedora 4 typing "mediacheck" at boot first, and second : "linux mediacheck pci=nosort text". Without "pci=nosort text" I still get a kernel panic.
Joao

Fedora and the Radeon X600

Hey folks,
I'm using a Radeon X600 mobile and trying to install Fedora 3. I'm a little reluctant to d/l the Fedora 4 right at the moment.
I'm having the same problem as the other people here seem to be. As far as I can tell, the Radeon X600 isn't compatible with Fedora (or older versions of Red Hat).
I'm currently running RedHat 7.2 and the only way to get X to work is to manually change the video driver to the VESA driver as someone else here has pointed out. I was hoping that Fedora would be a little friendlier, however upon beginning the graphical install the screen goes black. It seems to me that the install is still running, there just isn't any display. I've tried the text install with the same results.
the MediaCheck doesn't help me in this situation and I don't think I want to try any other distributions just yet as I'm still gaining familiarity and I started with RedHat.
If anyone could shed some light, I'd be most appreciative.

Did you try the option at boot "pci=nosort text"? For Fedora 4 do both, that is, type something nonsense at boot first and after the error message type "linux mediacheck pci=nosort text". If your trying Fedora 3 maybe the "mediacheck" option is not necessary.
I don't have fedora installed, I have Suse 9.3 but I´m still using the "vesa" driver. However, ATI has a program that produces distribution dependent drivers. Check in their web site.

Regards.
Joao

Just to clarify, "pci=nosort" is one parameter (tells kernel not to sort PCI devices during their detection), and "text" is another parameter (starts installation in sort of textmode). I say sort of, because it's not a true 80x25 screenmode, more like a VGA framebuffer. One option would be to try "linux text nofb", to start the installation in real textmode.

Yes, I knew they were two different commands. What I didn´t know was the meaning of "pci=nosort". I have a Radeon X600 PCIE and the only way I could run the installation for several linux distributions was with this option at boot. Otherwise I would get a kernel panic and a system freeze.

Regards.
Joao

Well I tried the "linux mediacheck pci=nosort text". I was unable to run a straight "linux mediacheck" then return to the boot option, it went to my terrible blank black screen. upon rebooting and trying the pci=nosort, again the relentless black screen. I tried the text option; again the black screen. If I'm running a text install should there not be a standard default display output?
Is there a way to get a compatible driver and tell the installer to use it instead of it's default?
I've given up on linux a number of times in the past because of these kinds of problems and I don't want it to happen again so if I were to switch distributions, is there one that could be recommended that will work with the X600?

Thanks guys

The pci=nosort argument does not finish completely the problem. The next step is to load the sata driver ... But I don't have the driver and I don't found the driver ... HELP !!! The hard disk isn't detected ... :mad:

Despotic said:
Well I tried the "linux mediacheck pci=nosort text". I was unable to run a straight "linux mediacheck" then return to the boot option, it went to my terrible blank black screen. upon rebooting and trying the pci=nosort, again the relentless black screen. I tried the text option; again the black screen. If I'm running a text install should there not be a standard default display output?
Is there a way to get a compatible driver and tell the installer to use it instead of it's default?
I've given up on linux a number of times in the past because of these kinds of problems and I don't want it to happen again so if I were to switch distributions, is there one that could be recommended that will work with the X600?
I installed FC4 to a laptop with Radeon X300 chipset, had to use "linux nofb" to make the installer work in textmode.

Can't install Fedora 4 on Twinhead 12DL

G'day. Bought a Twinhead 12DL notebook recently. Was trying to install Fedora 4 on it but it didn't work. It hung at kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0x14. I tried so many setup options but it didn't work either, including linux acpi=off, linux nofb, linux text, mediacheck then linux mediacheck or linux mediacheck pci=nosort text & etc.
My notebook specs are as follow:
Intel Centrino 1.73Ghz
512MB DDR Ram
60GB hardisk
Intel(R) 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express chepset family
Combo DVD / CDRW drive

By the way, I had no problem installing Fedora 2 on the notebook, everything went smoothly. Does anyone know why not with FC 4?
Thank you.

Regards,
Sim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back