Can an upgrade driver solve the problem of my old DVD-ROM drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklogus

Hi all !

In my back up PC, I have an old DVD-ROM Drive (LG DRD 8160B), that I bought in late 2001... I have used it very few until now, because I have a newer PC, with better spec.

Anyways, I tried to use some "new midia" (not so much new, really...) in my old DVD Drive (it only read DVD data, not write). I used DVD+R (8X) and DVD+RW, and it could not to read anything. Using windows explorer, I could not to see any properties of the midia, as if there was nothing inside the drive. It was strange for me, because I got used to put my DVDs of games inside it, and they always have run OK (and they keeps working well).

I made a research over the net, and I found some references about an upgrade of the driver of these kind of device... So, my question is:

1) Is really necessary to upgrade the driver(s) of the DVD-ROM drive?

2) If I will do it, could I to have success about it to be able to "read" these "new midia"? ( I am guessing that it is very old to read some kinds of DVDs... Is it possible, or am I saying folishness?).

3) I have tried, last days, to find the newest drive for this specific device that i have (LG DRD-8160B), inside the LG site, but I had no success (it seems that LG site is having some trouble)... I know that there are some drivers over the internet, in another sites, but I am not sure if they are reliable... Should I try to download them?

Well, that's it... I would like some advice(s) about this matter, because I am far from to be one expert....

Thanks in advance for any additional help / information !

It won't read burned disks simply because lots of older dvd drives (even my panasonic 12x dvd) won't read them (burned).
I have not heard of "drivers" fixing anything like this, espically in windows. Its a hardware issue not a software/os issue, I think a piece of software is going to have no effect.

What has a slim possibility of working is a firmware upgrade.

Thanks for your opinion, SNGX1275!

But I will keep looking for a "software" solution (may be it will be possible)....

Thanks in advance for any additional help / information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back